New 787 motor in my 1996 Seadoo should I reconnect oil pump or premix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterminds

Alright, I need some help deciding on the pro's and con's of hooking a oil pump to my new motor. I just order a new SBT 787 and have rebuilt everything in this 1996 XP. It was set up premix when the motor died and now I am thinking about hooking up a new oil pump to the motor. However I dont know if their is a benifit for hooking up a new oil pump or running it premix. I am hoping someone can help me determine what i should do with this new motor and recomended break in procedures for it are. I have a premixed tank of fuel 40:1 in her now which is great for the new motor break in. Should I keep it premix or should I hook up a new oil pump to my new beast. I have looked at used oil pumps on ebay for $60 bucks and new ones for around $175 bucks. Or should I just keep the ski premix so i dont have to worry about blowing it up.

If I would put a new pump on the doo how hard is it to sync to my carbs? I see where the lines go into the carbs and have rebuilt the carbs when I pulled the motor.

Suggestions Team?

I just finished putting my new sbt engine in last week, running great btw. I would do oil pump if you can, not hard to set up, it is basically the last thing you make adjustments to when playing with the cables.

People have different opinions of course. However, if you don't have one now, it isn't necessary to go out and get one just cause. Either way you will be fine i'm sure. More smoke and more oil will be used and mute fouled plugs when pre mixing.

Use sbt beak in procedure.

Oh and get rid of the gas in the tank that is in there, you can save it and re use it. They don't want their oil mixed with whatever oil you have in there for the first tank.

I have Seadoo synthetic in there now. When,I called sbt they said to run the manufacturers oil. I do not have a oil pump yet and was going to but a used one off ebay, was thinking to but a new, one but curious on the reliability. do any other years fit on a 96 I wonder?

X2 on the new one, why buy someone elses problem--especially when it comes to the oil injection. I ditched the injection on my Speedster when I re-did the motors. Keep in mind you'll still need the oil tank to be connected to lube the rotary shaft, but plug the tube feeding the oil pump and remove the pump and buy a block off kit(it will come with the covers for the injection nipples on the rotary valve cover. The only downside to running premix is that you go thru a lot more oil, and at around $53 bucks a gallon for XPS-II that starts to add up. You might be able to use cheaper oil but I only run XPS-II in my stuff, even my vintage Ski-Doo's get Bombardier oil in them.

When my 720 engine locked up i ordered a block off kit with the short block from SBT. I could have reused the oil pump because i knew why the engine locked up... the cable between the carb and the pump broke. If you purchase a used pump you have no idea why it came off an engine, it might be a situation like mine or it could have been the reason the engine died, you never know.

If you go with a new pump you will use less oil but spend money on the pump. If you get a block off plate you will save on parts but spend more on oil. Either way this is an expensive hobby. Peace of mind has its price, for me it is knowing that the engine always has the oil it needs. Over the years i have has many 2 stroke engines of those that i pre-mix the oil i have had less probems.

When my 720 engine locked up i ordered a block off kit with the short block from SBT. I could have reused the oil pump because i knew why the engine locked up... the cable between the carb and the pump broke. If you purchase a used pump you have no idea why it came off an engine, it might be a situation like mine or it could have been the reason the engine died, you never know.......

I always thought that if the cable breaks the pump goes to FULL oil consumption.....so the motor doesn't run without oil......correct or wrong???

I always thought that if the cable breaks the pump goes to FULL oil consumption.....so the motor doesn't run without oil......correct or wrong???

You are correct sir, perhaps his cable jammed not allowing the spring to open? It's a failsafe, or it's suposed to be.

Some great info. How much oi will I use with oil pump compared to premix? Anyone have some good numbers to share? I have a block off kit installed now so id I change it back I would have to hook everything back up. After researching syncing the oil pump to the carb is not that difficult.

IDK exact numbers but with the oil pump it will pump at about 100:1 at idle......you are using 40:1 all the time with premixing.
Pumps usually don't fail by themselves....it's due to lack of maintenance by the owner of ski. IE: wrong oil, wrong adjustment, leaking hose, plugged outlet, etc.

I would say twice as much. It really depends on your mix and how you ride. Maybe an extra $20 every 20-30 hours of riding. Very rough est but, that's been my experience on a rebuilt 657.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back