*Need help* 1996 seadoo gti 720 no lights (not dess post issue)

Jacksoncolazio

So I recently bought this jet ski, as in the title it is a 1996 seadoo gti 720. I took it out on the water and was having a blast since it ran amazing until 4 hours later when the exhaust manifold burnt through an oil line, thus dumping 4L of oil in the engine bay while operating. Since I didn’t initially notice, the shaft spun and essentially got oil EVERYWHERE. Fast forward, I fixed the oil line and got new oil but whenever I put the key in it would turn the dash lights on until I tried pressing the starter. Then it seems to go into a saftey off mode and I’d have to wait hours to try again. The weird thing is that when I tried starting the seadoo, there would be no sound and no clicks. Now a day later the lights don’t even turn on with the key. What I have checked so far as a kid with YouTube: battery voltage (good), dess post amd key (good), fuses (good), loose connections (checked countless times and positive they are good). I’m not sure if the oil would have shorted anything out and I’m also not sure how to check using the multimeter on different electrical components. I have a slight feeling it’s the starter, but shouldn’t it not affect the dash lights? And shouldn’t it make a click when trying? I’m super lost at this point since I was convinced it was the dess post. I appreciate any help, thank you!

so most likely your ground isnt grounded to battery or engine or the starter is bad
I just spent 2 hours taking off the starter, testing it and putting it back since it’s fine. OMG as I was writing this to say that wasn’t the issue I tried to start it as a joke and it cranked! It wasn’t lose but somehow the ground wasn’t grounded as you said. Thank you so much!

Back