need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliezercalo

Im about to buy a Sea doo Bombardier XP 1997, It looks like new, I dont know anything about sea doo's, what do I need to check or look?
what about the compression?
thanks for your help

Welcome!

Welcome to our forum!....
Yes, looks can be deceiving. The Sea doo's are very durable and built to last. But I would check for compression, which should be at least 110-140 psi at least........
Check for spark on your plugs and most often neglected in viewing before buying, the pump.
I own the 97 model Challenger, so I'll let the other guys who rough house with these skis jump in here to give you more!....
Good luck!
Louis

That XP motor is a good engine, so unless it has been tortured, it should be a good foundation.

Electrical system needs to be inspected carefully if the ski is difficult to start or cuts out.

If you can test drive it and it runs well, that is one of the best indicators of the condition of the ski.

While it is in the water, take the seat off and look for any water penetrating the hull:
-at the drain plug sockets
-at the shaft entrance into the hull
-any place around the exhaust pipe or tubing
Water coming in can be fixed. But what is much more interesting is that water in the hull in the past may influence your decision if any need for serious engine work is needed - filling a hull with water isn't good for the engine.

Take off the external fuel filter and inspect. If it wasn't recently cleaned, you can gauge the overall condition of the fuel system. If was it was recently cleaned, then closer inspection would be needed. Unfortunately most of this type of inspection cannot be done without dismantling things.

Tell us more about the deal you are thinking of!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back