My 2016 GTI limited vs My 1999 GTI

So, I'm new to PWC's and have only ever ridden three ski's. My new to me 1999 GTI currently doesn't run but I've ridden it about 4 hour to formulate an opinion on it vs my 2016 GTI limited.

I feel like the old is much more fun to ride. Any little wave or swell and up in the air it goes. Sharp intentional turns and the rear losses traction and you're doing a controlled 180. It's just a fun pwc to ride. My newer version, not so fun. it mostly cuts through waves rather then jump them. For it to jump waves, it has to be a real wave or swell. The rear is hard to break, it's always trying to track. It just feels like a responsible grown-ups machine, lol.

As crazy as it sounds, the only real win I give the newer GTI is reliability and speed. everything else is not really a win to me, just different.

You can argue about the technology, but give me a break, the analog function of the old GTI does the same thing, just differently. I can actually control the reverse and neutral on the old GTI better than the newer one. The newer one does what it's going to do clicked into neutral or reverse, while the older ones, I can fine tune the pull level by going up and down so it does exactly what I want it to do.

Stability, both seems to be the same, at 200lbs, I can stand on one side on either ski without falling. The newer may be a tiny bit more stable but not enough to discuss.

Control: of course the newer GTI is easier to control but that's what makes the older one so fun.

Fun factor: In my head, when I'm up in the air with the old, I'm thinking "weeee" while when I'm in the air with the newer one, I'm thinking, God please don't let anything break, lol. I'm not worried about breaking anything on the old, it's supper easy to work on. The first time I hit serious air with the old, when I landed all four engine mounts busted. it took me a couple of hours to repair and the mounts were cheap.

Appearance: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Yes, the newer is sexier but I think a clean old version is very sexy as well. Most people think the old don't look good but I think that's because most people have their old looking like crap.

The only reason I made this post is I bought the old at first and went and bought the new, thinking that it would be way better. I was disappointed that you spend all this money on a newer ski to find that the old ski can fill the same role as the newer version at a significantly lower price. Now, I'd say get the newer if you're not interested in jumps or just want a calmer ride, or absolutely need your ski to be reliable, then the newer is less likely to fail.

I'm a hooligan, I still like motorcycles that pull wheelies. Old skis are cheaper, lighter, more fun for me. My favorite all around hull is the Seadoo GTX 1996-2002. There are better hulls but that one is so much fun. My wife loves hers. :) I'll take any of the pre-2003 skis over anything newer.

I'm a hooligan, I still like motorcycles that pull wheelies. Old skis are cheaper, lighter, more fun for me. My favorite all around hull is the Seadoo GTX 1996-2002. There are better hulls but that one is so much fun. My wife loves hers. :) I'll take any of the pre-2003 skis over anything newer.
Yeah i hear you, my logic says I shouldn't like the older ski ride so much more than the newer one but idk, I just do.

The me the newer skis are too large, like, mini boats. I like the lighter skis and you can toss them around. I think for all around kicks the small 2-seaters are hard to beat.

Back