Moving from 2 stroke to 4-tec. Horsepower question.

PaulDoo

Hello all. I have been a long time Sea Doo owner (98 GSXL, 2000 GTX and 2001 RXDI). All three of these skis had the 951 130hp 2 stroke engine. One of the things that I occasionally did with my GTX was pull tubes and skiers. I am looking at moving into a much newer ski, and therefore I am looking at the used 4-tecs. I see that some of them have 130hp. These new 4-tec skis are at least 100lbs heavier than my current GTX. Will I notice a difference in the 130hp that I experienced compared to the new 4-tec skis with the same power, or would it be better to look at the 155+hp skis? I'm content (and would probably prefer) not having a supercharged ski.

Also, are there any bad years for non-supercharged skis in the 2004-2018-ish years? I saw in some of the posts that there were exhaust issues that were hopefully resolved.

Thanks in advance for the information!

Yes. Yes. You'd be better off with one of the 155 skis.

Skidoo can advise on what years to avoid.

Will you be doing your own maintenance?

Thank you. My research has shown that the 155 seems to be a pretty reliable engine, especially around 2008. Yes, I'll be doing my own maintenance. I realize winterization is different than the 2 strokes, but I'm willing to learn.

the exhaust issue, are you talking about the hollow valve stems and them breaking? They were replaced mid 06 year.

Stick to non-supercharged, maintenance is pretty simple. i got my dad an 08 GTI SE 155 and he's happy coming from a 97 GSX with a 787.
He wanted something with reverse and for 'easy lake riding' as he put it lol.

That sounds right. Good to know that was fixed after 2006.

Thanks for the insight. I think I'll look for something with the 155 engine. It sounds like a lot of people are happy with it.

Back