Motor revs, moves at idle, but wont go when you give gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadandfourmore

I am a new member so bare with me. I just bought two old Seadoos; 94 xp and a 96 spx. the Xp ran for a minute during test drive, but now it wont go when you give it gas. Motor revs but its like a clutch is slipping...I know it does not have one though. I am pretty handy so I took the motor out last night thinking I would find a stripped shaft or impeller. The PTO pulley (female splines) looks good, the drive shaft; both ends are fine so no luck there. I will make a pulling tool tonight to get the pump off to inspect the impeller, but unless that is stripped, I'm at a loss. My experience tells me if it was in the engine itself, there would be a great deal of noise and probably would lock up. Am I correct in looking from the PTO wheel back? If the prop is good, I really want to find something wrong and fix it before putting the engine back in.

Also, found a very small oil line not connected coming of the oil pump. It is right below the larger main oil line. This line is probably a 3 or 4 mm line, but I cannot find where it ran to. Any help.
Thanks,

Your wear ring is bad in your pump and they are about $40 to replace.

The small oil line is for the oil injection. Do not run it without it or your engine will not be getting any oil. The line is 3/32" Tygon fuel line and available at any lawnmower shop or Home Depot.

Pulled the engine for nothing,,, And technically, when you reinstall it now you have to align it. Are you familiar with the process?

Il second the wear ring as being the issue.

Regarding the small oil line: refer to above supplied picture and note of 3/32 tygon line. Note the fittings (referred to as banjo fittings) connecting the small line to the oil pump; these have a check ball inside them; clean them out and test for proper one-way operation, I have seen them frozen open (not too bad) and frozen closed (cuts oil flow in half = not so good); you can shake them and hear the ball rattle around or mouth pressure.

As long as you are into the oil system and have skis with unknown histories, follow recommendations on this site to clean/service the oil system: replace filter, drain and fill the oil system with proper oil (various brands of TC-W PWC oil are recommended by various members, mineral oil is fine for your models, never use TC-w3 outboard oil).

Speaking of older skis with unknown history. Read up here on cleaning up the fuel delivery system, especially if you have the gray Tempo fuel lines; if you have them it is urgent before running again that you correct these issues: fuel line, fuel selector, fuel pre-filter, clean/rebuild carbs. All of these issues result in lean running which will really mess up your engines.

Good luck and have fun. There is quite a following for these old 2-strokes (just check my list). And, of course, welcome to the best SeaDoo forum.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back