Motor cranks, but no run till it’s given a sniff of cleaner

AJF22

I have a question regarding my 2001 GTX Di and I’m new to jet skis, I know lots of people hate the Di because of their quirks, but I don’t hate this one yet.

So when starting, it cranks over no problem, but to get it to fire I have to squirt a very small shot of carb cleaner in the throttle body, which I hate doing, but it’s the only way to get it to run. After that it will start up and run all day no problems, but let it sit for 24 hours and it takes a little longer to fire, after 48 hours and it’s hard to get it to fire again, it just cranks and cranks.

I removed the fuel tank, removed all of the fuel, cleaned the tank, then replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel regulator with a Quantum parts, removed the fuel and air injectors, tested the fuel injectors and heard them click, and then cleaned everything the best I could, replaced the spark plugs, great spark on the tester, the motor has 135 psi in both cylinders, and it has a brand new always fully charged battery.

But even after these it still doesn’t want to fire unless I give it a little sniff of carb cleaner, again which I hate doing, but then it has no issues running.

I’m waiting on my the fuel pressure tool to arrive so I can check the fuel pressure, which I think might be the issue?, but right now I’m left scratching my head.

Hope someone could give me an idea of maybe something I missed checking or something I need to take a look into.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back