MemorialiDay Nightmare. FORGOT to Screw In Drain Plugs. Won't go over 10MPH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEADOOBANDIT

Please Guys I need your help. I am such an IDIOT! I thought I would never do this, but got in a hurry and DID it! I have a 1998 GSX Limited and rtan it yesterday perfectly after sitting for over a year. I pulled out from the trailer and putted around the dock for 1-2 minutes and NOTICED it started sinking. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH I KNEW what happened! The DARN PLUGS ARE NOT IN!

I was Pressing FULL Throttle and it was going 10 MPH, it had very Little power (Normally can go 62MPH). It was only filled with water about 3 inches or so.

It still RAN. I drove it to shore and it would only go 10 MPH at Full Throttle and died a few times and had to restart to get her there. and parked it on the muddy Bank of the lake to put the Plugs back in. WENT HOME, Cleaned out water and THEN WENT BACK TO LAKE TO RIDE IT Thinking it was fixed. When I went back out, IT Started, but it took 5-6 attempts and was BOGGING when I drove it and would only would GO 10 MPH at FULL Throttle!!!!!!!

I did the following:

1. REMOVED the 2 SPARK PLUGS, when I did, little streams of SMOKE WAS Comming OUT Both Spark Plug HOLES.

2. I unclipped a connection that was attached to the PART that looks like a spark plug (Inbetween the 2 Spark Plug) and unscrewed that piece out. It was a little WET.

3. Dried in SUN, then took off plugs and tried to start it with the spark plugs OUT. NO WATER CAKE OUT OF HOLES!

4. Went to Auto Zone and Bought (2) new Spak Plugs and replaced them. Went back to Lake and just put the REAR of the SKI in the LAKE ON the TRAILER and started her up. Started on 1st TRY! AND Idled OK

But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,When I Hit Throttle all the way,,,,,it STILL HAD almost NO Power JUST AS BEFORE......................

5. Looked UNDER Ski for Debre and there was none wrapped aropund the drive shaft or impeller.

WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT??????????????????????????? I Hope I didn't do serious Dammage??

Thanks In Advance for any Advice Guys!

Seadoo Bandit ..................Gary

Isn't that a bitch... Who hasn't done that, oh crap and gas it quick to get the water out, race to shore and put the plugs back in.

3 inches isn't very much. I know it ran fine the other day, but are you running grey fuel lines? It could just be coincidence of bad running and the plugs being out.

You could try it out of water on a hose, less load to see, our just idle for longer and with time see if it will pick up with slow throttle.

Suggestions to try.

Least it is running, but keep it running for awhile in case water its in it.

Firts off, get some WD-40 (or something similar) in the cylinders and turnover with the plugs out. Put plugs back in and spray enine and throttle cables etc. Let it sit for a bit and ride it with the DRAIN PLUGS IN. See what happens. i did the same thing a long time ago, and it took about an hour of actual riding, and it was back to normal. I'm sure you didn't do any major damage!!

Thanks so much Guys! You're tight, could be a coincedence with the drain plugs. Starts like a CHAMP! Just very little Power. I will try a few things and report back.

Sorry to jump thread but speaking of drain plugs does anyone know where to buy the actual seadoo drain plug o rings because when you loose these water comes thru

Went to Best guy in Dallas. Has 4 week Wait unless you pay $250 Rush Charge. I explained it and he said it COULD be plug, BUT thought it might be the Jet Pump! Said if rocks get in there and the prop gets bent just a little it won't run. He asked me if it REVS HIGH, BUT won't got fast and I said YES. It seems to rev ok, but theres no power.

Said I can remove the Jet Pump Myself and bring it in for him to inspect and FIX (if needed). in a week. He said if I can get a swervice manual it will take me 45 minutes. I am pretty handy, BUT is this HARD???????????? OR would you get new plug wires for the hell of it just to see, before I remove the jet pump.

IF SOMEONE tells me how to CHECK if both spark plugs are firing, I will do that first. maybe its only running on 1 Cyl.?

Sorry to jump thread but speaking of drain plugs does anyone know where to buy the actual seadoo drain plug o rings because when you loose these water comes thru

You should make your own thread fyi.

Don't think you can get the o rings, have to buy the whole plug, but not to expensive from sbt. Mine doesn't have any and doesn't leak.

Have you tried running it out of the water yet?

Do compression test as others have mentioned.

Plug spark test - put one cap on the ground, pull the other plug, put it in it's cap and lay it on top of the head case and just touch the start button. You should see spark. Then swap and do the other one.

Pump is easy to pull. See the manual, or how to section.

Just get on your back with a flashlight and see if the impeller looks straight and sharp or if there is any damage to it or the wear ring. You can even take a picture and post it so we can see. Don't start pulling parts yet. 3" is not enough water to cause concern and it always started so it does not sould like you got water into your engine. You need to check the compression to rule out some mechanical issues.

Thumper, first of all. Thank You Very Much! I really appreciate you taking time on this for me (a total stranger).

1. Spark Plug Test: OK, I just took out BOTH sprak plugs, then re-attached BOTH of the Spark Plug Boots to BOTH Spark Plugs, layed them on the engine, and CRANKED SKI several times. I saw good Blue Sparks shooting from BOTH Spark Plugs. (You said "Put a CAP on the ground??????? and do one at a time???)

I had BOTH Spark Plugs connected to the Boots when I tested, SO BOTH were done at the same time. I tested them BEFORE I read your above Reply, is this OK to do it that way??) Again, sparks were there all day long on BOTH Plugs, so it seems that's NOT the issue?????

2. Jet Pump- I hope it is easy to remove, and I hope I see a rock or debris in there. At least that will give me an idea as to WHY it isn't going fast (10 MPH at WOT) and has no thrust/propultion............

I downloaded a Service manual and i hope it isn't too hard. Do I need ANY special Tools?????

Do you think I should mess with a New Spark Plug Boot, OR since I have spark, contuinue to Jet Pump? If I remove it I can bring it in and they can look at it and fix it in a week, VS 4 weeks to even get an appointment. Its called Dales Jet Sports and the guy is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

That's where the previous owner had MY SEADOO's engine rebuilt and it runs like a Champ (63MPH), Or did before I messed it up LOL :), or I should say LOL :(

Last edited by a moderator:
MIKI,

Thanks Man! Yes I THOUGHT I had SOME small chips on the Blades when I looked underneath, but I looked again and it is just a tiny bit of rust. The blades SEEM to be OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pump is easy to get out and will have to come out to get the boot off. Usually small chips will not cause much of an issue but a worn wear ring can. This is an easy do it yourself job but you will need an impeller tool, wear ring, pump oil and a new or repaired impeller, should only be about $150 DIY. Is the engine responding to throttle and reving to the proper 7000 rpm? What I am asking is the engine running and acting like normal but it just will not move forward? Like a car with a bad clutch?

Miki,

I don't have an RPM on my SEADOO, but YES. It appears to be revving fine. But feels flat in the water. He said the impeller is inside the jet pump. Its all one unit? I gues it's not? I have a 1998 Seadoo GSM Limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back