Making Weird Sound When I Turn it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcar72

Getting frustrated. First ski ran great first month. Then had issues. Cleaned Rav Valves Replaced on on Muffler. Cleaned carbs and changed filters. Just went to start it turned over then makes the same sound as link below.

Is it Low Battery starter issue?
Something more serious?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riqQZ3TgDmQ

The first part of the video sounds like bad bearing noise to me. The second part makes me think it's a weak starter. So maybe there's an inherent problem with the starter and it needs replaced.

Another possibility-although uncommon-is the noise in the first part of the video is the sound of the ring gear on the flywheel grinding against the stator housing. These machines use a 2-piece flywheel with the ring gear pressed on, and over time it can walk off backwards towards the engine. Then in the second part, the starter can't overcome the friction of the rubbing and compression.

Either way, I'd look at both. Pull the starter and bench test it. Then pull the stator housing cover and look for lots of metal shavings. They'd likely be aluminum and non-magnetic.

That sound points toward a piston rod bearing that came loose and is chewing $h!t up. Happened to me. I'll find the YouTube video of mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back