Make the shifter smoother Speedster 200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norb

Hey guys,

I have a -07 speedster 200 and I have a problem with the shifter, Its realy hard to change gears with it. Some of my friends needs to use both hands. How do I get it to work smoother?

Thanks

Regards
Norb

You probably need a new shifter cable. I have an 05' Sportster SCIC. It cost me 150.33 for the cable and 2 hours labor to install. Once there is corrosion no lube solution will free it up. I would also check and see if your reverse gate bracket is in good shape. I broke mine when the rearend swung into the dock which made changing F-N-R even worse. Costly repair but it is so much better to drive now. Easier to dock to.

I see, where does the corrosion hit, between the iron cable and the outside rubber?

And does everyone agree that new cables are needed?

I asked the mechanic to do anything he could to free up the cable. He said once it is corroded it is done for. Maybe somebody on the forum knows a fix. Dealers are not always completely strightforward. I know i like the way it works now and it is very easy to control the boat for anyone driving.

PS Did you check to make sure the bolt on the right side iof the reverse gate is still there. After my repair the bolt came out and gave me shifting problems. I fixed it temporarily wiht a smaller unthreaded bolt and aircraft nut until the dealer sent me a new bolt. It is threaded and lock tite must be applied as ther is nothing retaining it like a nut.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reverse gate is the black clam looking shell that the F-N-R moves up and down in front of the jet stream to cause the boat to move in reverse. You have a different boat so maybe it is engineered different than mine. I know i had a missing bolt that caused it to be difficult to move because it was not in line with the cable correctly.

Reverse gate

You can get behind the boat in the water. The gate is nearly at the waterline and sticks out behind the boat. pic attached.

Attachments

• reverse gate.jpg
    reverse gate.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 20
i have the same problem with my 150. It sucks, but i'd rather deal with it than have it repaired, because it will just happen again.

I thought i could deal with it too. A storm came up in the afternoon one day and i need to have control of the boat and i didnt. I started asking myself why i bought the boat. Answer to have fun, and i wasnt right then. I am glad i fixed it. As you say. It will happen again. Salt water=corrosion.

I thought i could deal with it too. A storm came up in the afternoon one day and i need to have control of the boat and i didnt. I started asking myself why i bought the boat. Answer to have fun, and i wasnt right then. I am glad i fixed it. As you say. It will happen again. Salt water=corrosion.

So you changed the shifter cables?

Unfortunately the dealer did it. They dont allow customers to watch either so it is impossible to learn. I am not a mechanic so i am afraid of screwing it up. I have fixed many cosmetic features on the boat but not mechanical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back