looking to buy a seadoo boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucker

I am new to seadoo boats. I am thinking of buying a 96 seadoo challenger it has the 110 hp motor it is in very good shape with low hrs. Also looking at the same boat with the 85 hp motor is this boat really underpowered with only 85 hp or would it be ok for tubing and sking does the 110 have alot more power how fast could I expect these boats to go and how reliable are they.
Or should I be looking at a 130 hp boat. The boat will be used on weekends in the summer mostly to take the kids tubing or for a ski. And are they as bad on fuel as I have heard?
Thanks...

Challenger!

Welcom to the forum tucker!...:)
I have the 1997 model challenger with the 787 Rotax (110hp). I love it. By myself, on smooth water, with a partial tank of fuel, I can hit about 50 mph. I use it on the river for tubing and kneeboarding with my wife and two kids, ages 5 and 6. It's a nice boat, runs out strong. As far as a smaller engine size, which is the 717, I believe, I think it would be underpowered. Be prepared to work on it though. Mine was kept in the garage and the first time out, I had a carb problem pop up on me, then my wearing ring on my pump end went out.....just the little things. I think with anyone buying something ten years old or older, even with low hours, should expect that they'll be tinkering with it at some point, with regular use on the water. It really only takes a little mechanical know-how to work on them. Pretty simple engine........(until you get into the 2007, 4-TEC supercharged 4stroke engine.......just reading about that one makes me tired!):cool:
Oh, fuel....If I compare the consumption to that of an outboard engine of the same horsepower, then no, the Rotax is just as efficient if not better.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for the reply I dont mind doing some work myself. Im always fixing my snowmobiles. I just dont want to get into spending thousands. I think I will buy the boat with the 110 in it. I will post some pics when I get it just have to negotiate a good price...

Message!

I'm going to send you a PM (private message). Look to the top right side of your screen if your not familar with this service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back