Looking for a “cruiser” that can “legally” pull a tube.

Seadoo2024

Hey everyone , I’m switching over to the sea doo platform as my arctic cats (montegos) can no longer get parts. I have a crazy fast XP 1997, that thing is a bull and she WILL throw you. You cannot ride her without getting soaked. What I like about the montegos is you literally could take a woman in an evening dress out and as long as you don’t do anything crazy, everyone comes back with only wet feet. The sea doo doesn’t even give you a chance, first turn and your passenger is in the drink and you’re drenched.

I also want to get a “cruiser” (I already have a sporty/carver) that is legally allowed to pull a tube. In Michigan by DNR regulations it has to be a three seater (driver, passenger/spotter, and a seat for the tuber in the water) and obviously powerful.

I have my eyes on several GTI, GTX and GSI models (all late 90s and healthy)

Any differences I should be aware of, making a buying decision?

GS/GSI/GSX is a 2-seater just like your XP so no pulling a tube.

You want a GTI or GTX. I would suggest a GTX as it has more power to pull a tube.
I would personally look for a 1996-1997 GTX as it shares the same engine and drive as your XP.
I would stay away from the RFI or DI as the fuel injected engines are more difficult to diagnose.

GS/GSI/GSX is a 2-seater just like your XP so no pulling a tube.

You want a GTI or GTX. I would suggest a GTX as it has more power to pull a tube.
I would personally look for a 1996-1997 GTX as it shares the same engine and drive as your XP.
I would stay away from the RFI or DI as the fuel injected engines are more difficult to diagnose.
Oh man I’m an idiot, I meant GTI/GTX , doh , sorry like this

IMG_3521.jpeg

Or this

IMG_3520.jpeg

I guess it won’t let me share the links

Here’s a couple photos

The GTI's are bulletproof but the 720 engine in a 3 seat hull isn't the best for pulling a tube.
You want a 787, GTX.

The GTI's are bulletproof but the 720 engine in a 3 seat hull isn't the best for pulling a tube.
You want a 787, GTX.
Ok, I’ll look for one, no on the GTI?

Remember the XP has an 895 or something, we know it can pull for sure, but it’s highly unstable

GTI will be a little low on power.
The GTX has the same 787 as your XP.

Never trust anyone that says it just needs a battery or starter....

Follow this... Things to look for when buying a used SeaDoo
Wow I love the article, I won’t buy ANY SKI that I can’t test drive. My seadoo was ready and waiting and I drove it around the lake before handing cash over, admittedly I didn’t do all the stuff on that list, but he disclosed the issues present and I bought it at asking price which was fair.

I agree when someone says it “just needs” something, your buying someone else’s issues.

Still skis are so much fun!

I’ll keep looking for a GTX!

Anyone know how to tell if the machine is a 787cc with DI?

Attachments

• IMG_3573.jpeg
    IMG_3573.jpeg
    988 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3572.jpeg
    IMG_3572.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 3
Back