Looking at a Pontoon. Input welcome.

bigJake

A guy not far from me has a pontoon for sale. It's a 2005 Fisher Liberty 180. It only has a 9.9 HP engine on it and he estimates it only goes about 15mph, but not sure we are looking for anything more than that anyway. This will replace my bow rider that we barely use.
The pontoon seats 7, he just had 3 of 6 seats redone 2 of the remaining 3 have very small tears( not through the seat, just like the top layer of vinyl is missing). he said a local guy redoes them for like $100/cushion.
it has brand new Sunbrella bimini top and seat covers (he said he paid $1400) for those.
the side panels have a couple dings.
trailer tires need replaced side walls have some drywall cracks.
He is asking $7,500. NADA says $6,000 but not sure how much to add for the seat covers and new seats, then deduct for dings, and new tires.
was going to try to test drive it today. (it's currently trailered in his driveway) I'm thinking I like it at $6,500. What do you guys think? I have no experience with pontoons or outboard engines, so not sure what to be looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
The top and seats are wear items for me...no credit for them. 2stroke or 4stroke? 18' is on the shorter end of pontoons. If I really wanted it...and the motor at least worked as advertised on the water...I'd offer $5000cash....and go from there.

his bottom line is $7,000. Turns out he just bought it this spring from someone else here at the lake and spent the money on the seats, covers and bimini top, new battery. But his wife don't like it so he is selling it, he has a speed boat too. $7,000 is his break even point

I think a 9.9 HP is too small for that size pontoon. Load it with people. coolers, etc and it will barely beat a duck swimming...maybe!!!

I never saw that small of motor on a pontoon over 10 ft long.

PS. how fast did it go while test driving it? did it ever plane out?

SDB, It didn't go too fast. In the past hour I've decided to pass on it and look for something with a bigger engine. When I was test riding it I was thinking the engine was too undersized because I couldn't really detect a speed difference between 3/4 throttle and full throttle

Pontoons are very popular here in SC, planning on looking for one when I sell my center console.

Minimum motor size I would personally would look for would be 40hp, for 7k, that 9.9 was just too small.

Keep us updated, im interested to see what you end up with

I think a 9.9 HP is too small for that size pontoon.

I was just about to post the same thing. To be frank I've never heard of a motor that small on an 18' boat. I wouldn't think that thing would even break 5mph once you get it loaded with people and gear (probably why him and his wife don't like it). An undersized motor is one of the biggest resale killers in boats. I'd keep shopping.

I think a 9.9 HP is too small for that size pontoon.

I was just about to post the same thing. To be frank I've never heard of a motor that small on an 18' boat. I wouldn't think that thing would even break 5mph once you get it loaded with people and gear (probably why him and his wife don't like it). An undersized motor is one of the biggest resale killers in boats. I'd keep shopping.

Thanks guys. I came to the same conclusion that it was way under-powered. Also, got to thinking about what he told me about a local guy redoing some of the cushion for about $100/cushion. Made me think it would be a much better route to find a bigger pontoon/bigger motor with torn up seats at a much cheaper price and just get them redone. I'm seeing lots of pontoons on Craigslist that are 20-25 years old for like $4,000 or less. Would you guys go with something that old? I guess not much to go bad, aluminum pontoons with plywood screwed to the deck, seats that can be recovered and a slap on motor.

which brings me to the question of how do I evaluate the condition of a 4 stroke motor and should I strive for a 4 stroke outboard over a 2 stroke?

I personally say that would be too old, by the time you fix it up, upholstery, and newer outboard, you will be pretty close to something newer and already in decent shape. At that age, it seems like you fix one thing, it's always another thing breaking

Outboard engines are ridiculously expensive new even used ones are high.

Only way I would go that old is if I could get it for super cheap, around here projects like that go for 1000-2000$

there are tons of great pontoons here in great shape for 5-6k range. i live not far from a real ritzy area so they replace theirs every 4-5 years. nothing that i've has under a 90hp tho. i thought about getting one but after being out of one a few times, i think i'm going to track me down a good inboard deck boat. something with a single 350 or maybe an islanda if i can find one for the right price.

hmm, I'll be headed down that way in a couple weeks, maybe I should drive the truck down and just maybe come home with a nice pontoon.

PPE, thanks for the links you sent. too bad that 24'er don't have a trailer. listing says all new upholstery 5 years ago but that one seat back looks like it has a few tears but the others look good. both listings illustrate there are better deals out there than what I was looking at. Glad I passed. We'll be driving past Lake Norman in a couple weeks, that might be a good place to look.

i've got a custom trailer maker out that way thats working on me a 4 place ski trailer that always has a 24 foot trailer made and ready to sell, so don't let that effect your buy down here if you choose

Back