Looking at a pair of GTXs (1998 and 2003). Should I avoid DI?

JMullin

Trying to find a pair of Seadoos and trailer for a houseboat trip I'm taking next year. I'll use them for the year maybe 5 times and then resell them the following spring. I'm focusing on 2 strokes, mainly because of the price, but also I'm just a fan of 2 stroke ATVs and have a pretty good understanding of them. Looking at a set right now, 1998 GTX and 2003 GTX. The 2003 is direct injected, which I've read is probably something to avoid due to stator problems? This pair has a recent receipt for $1500 worth of misc work on them and that includes a new stator on the 2003. Would you still recommend avoiding the Direct Injection models if the stator problem has already crept up and been repaired recently? Thanks for any tips.

This question has been asked before if you search around. I have a DI and they are amazing when they run well, but age is catching up to them (especially the complex fuel system) and I would recommend staying away for short term use. They are fun to own and maintain if you are capable and interested, but I would stay simple in your situation and avoid DI's. Their "problems" go far beyond the stator. I have replaced just about everything on mine at one point and the stator is original.

Both of those are 951's, one carbed and one Direct Injected. For your limited use and avoiding a ruined houseboat vacation I would stay away from them.
I would be looking for 1997-2005 GTI's with the 720 engine. Fun, easy to work on and probably the most reliable engine seadoo made.

Reliability is what I'm looking for and honestly I'm buying 2 so that if one goes down it doesn't mess up the trip much. I'll look at some more 720 engines. Is the GTI the only other 3 seater that used it?

Back