Length of California drive

RodInEscondido

I am on the return leg of a drive from North San Diego County to southern Oregon; some observations from the treck on Interstate 5. I am currently on my southbound leg a bit north of Sacramento.

The central valley of California is a little depressing, but still a lot of green crops, vinyards, trees. I keep asking the question: what is the revenue value of the Delta Smelt vs the revenue value of the California food crops? I have not yet seen an advertisement for a Delta Smelt sandwich, do not think I will. Also, how much water is really needed to sustain a Delta Smelt.

I observed the California aquaduct, relatively full, flowing along to keep the grass growing in LA, but brown, fallow fields normally for food crops. Of course no crops means no need for workers to plant, tend, harvest.

For we boaters, the trip north and south today, kinda brings tears to the eyes to see the huge expanse of Shasta Lake about 50 feet low ... just picture your favorite boating lake 50 feet low.

From just south of the Oregon border the sky is continually covered in smoke from the fires to the west.

Yes, California is the land of fruits and nuts, but people-wise this just applies to the areas around San Francisco and Los Angeles; the bulk of the interior of California is rural, hard-working farmers. Unfortunately, the political power is based on people votes, thus the serious current movement to divide California into at least 3 states so the agricultural communities have a voice which they do not have now.

Enough rambling, reporting from the thriving megopolous of Corning, CA.

Rod

The scenery on I5 is awesome. My brother used to live in Palmdale. Rain was such a rare occurrence they would get excited and make popcorn and sit on the back porch and watch it rain.

I grew up in SoCal. (Anaheim/Fullerton) AND, in my young, adult life, I worked for an alarm company. I would drive up to San Fran all the time to work on alarms. I thought it looked nice up that way... but when you live in the city... looking at farms was a change.

Anyway... California put itself in the situation they are in. They were taking WAY more of their share of water for decades. Now that the population has grown in other states... they are being cut off.

I think they need to cap off the ends of the "LA Rivers", and keep that water for drinking, and irrigation.

Regardless... long drives can get boring.

Doc, the excess use of Colorado river water is essentially for SoCal; a little different issue from the California central valley which starts north of LA. I am not sure of what/any water goes into the Central valley reservoirs from outside CA.

A large issue for the Central valley farmers is the amount of Sacramento river water dumped into San Francisco bay to sustain at least one endangered fish which I have not ever seen a census.

Ya, long drives wear you down, especially when they cut the main freeway from 2 lanes to one for construction in the middle of the day; 10+ miles of backup and no real alternate at that point; of course a raft on the California aquaduct was a thought.

Jake, my son lives in Palmdale (high desert).
Actually the miracle of rain is occurring here right now, hope it keeps up for a while. Yes, I frequently go sit on my porch to enjoy it when it rains ... just got back inside.

Back