Labored / slow cranking problem.

davus

Hi All,

I have a 2010 GTX IS 260 LTD.

The ski labours badly when cranking. To most people it presents as a battery that is almost completely flat. However once if fires, it seemingly runs and charges just fine.

Here are the pertinent factors and tests that have been done.

1: Battery has been replaced with another battery from a known working ski. No Change.
2: Motor is freshly built, and has consistent PSI across each cylinder of around 110 (i am making the assumption its actually better than that but without proper cranking speed its hard to tell.)
3: I have run voltage tests across all relevant negative and posotive circuits, with no relevant voltage drop anywhere.
4: Both batteries drop to about 10 volts when cranking (indicating something is causing it to labour heavily), but both batteries then bounce back to around 12.8V at rest.
5: I have removed the spark plugs (as part of the compression test), and cranking without the plugs in whilst steady, seems slower than a well behaved ski. - No Change
6: With the spark plugs in, I removed the plugs from the coil packs and injectors, which i believe should discount any strange timing issues. - No Change
7: I have removed the jet pump to ensure it wasnt binding - No change.
8: While the Jet Pump was out, I attached a coupler i made to the driveshaft so i could turn the engine by hand with a breaker bar. It feels smooth, consistent, and easy to turn.
9: I have removed the Supercharger to see if it was binding - No Change.
10: I have replaced the starter motor with one from a known good ski - No Change.
11: I have replaced the starter solenoid with a known good one - No Change.

Before I start pointing the finger at something mechanical / internal, I wanted to throw it out to the team to see if anyone can think of something im missing?. The only other thing im thinking is that Ive mucked something up with the starter bendix - but i cant quite see how that would be causing the issues.

I have a video, but I can’t upload it here. So here it is on YouTube.

Dave

Last edited:
Google / You tube :Voltage Drop Test
Bad cable ?
Seems like high resistance some where

Google / You tube :Voltage Drop Test
Bad cable ?
Seems like high resistance some where
Thanks mate. Per my first post, I’ve already done a series of voltage drop tests, which didn’t reveal any noticeable issues.

Issue resolved.

Frustratingly it looks as though it turned out to be the starter solenoid……deviate trying another “known” good one.

I can’t 100% confirm yet as I need to wait for the ones I’ve ordered to arrive …. But very confident.

Back