Killing Starters - SeaDoo Sportser 1800 1998

Status
Not open for further replies.

zgn

Why Am I Killing Starters ? - SeaDoo Sportser 1800 1998

I have gone through 3 starters. They seem to work fine for a few trips then the starter will totaly fail. After removing it and testing they will not run at all. They are corroded + the starter gear seems to become worn.

This has happened three times in the past 8 weeks. Am I missing something? Why is water is getting into the starter?

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I assume you are not living in the Birmingham in Michigan....:)
What type/brand of starters are (I mean) were they. OEM, China made off Ebay????

I've had good luck with USA made DBElectrical.com starters. $50 -$80 or so depending on your ski type.

If you still have the OEM starter then it's better to rebuild that one instead of buying junky new ones every month..

Good Luck.

There are a few issues.

As Seadoobuddy said... the Chinese starters SUCK. The only last a few trips. You are better to rebuild a 20 year old OEM... or just buy a used OEM starter.

Also... if you are chewing up gears... that can be from an import starter not fitting properly, and/or a soft bendex gear. BUT... it could also be that your ring gear (on the flywheel) is warn. If it's bad... it will chew up the starter gears.

I am in Birmingham, AL area. I purchased the 2 starters from a local rebuild shop that has been in business for at least 50 years but who knows where he is getting them from. I am going to ask today.

Could water be leaking into the flywheel area causing the starter to corode in just 2/3 trips. Why would water be getting into the starter. Does the starter have seals to keep mositure out?

I might swap out the other good starter to the side that it is killing them on and see what happens.

I also just purchased another starter today. I'll put it on the other engine and see if it last.
Has anyone ever purchased from this guy on amazon?
SEA-DOO SeaDoo 1996-1999 Starter

tnx

Last edited by a moderator:
Please reread Dr.'s last sentence in his post......it might be your problem.

What has the rebuild shop have to say about it?

I understand why the gear may be chewed up but I don't think that would cause the starter to become corroded and lock up.

I have not talked to them after the 1st starter, he was shocked to see it's condition and sold me another one. now I am going to take him the second one and see what he says.

Sorry, i didn't see that they were ALL corroded.
Are you getting water into the hull? If so, then how much?

There are a few issues.

As Seadoobuddy said... the Chinese starters SUCK. The only last a few trips. You are better to rebuild a 20 year old OEM... or just buy a used OEM starter.

Also... if you are chewing up gears... that can be from an import starter not fitting properly, and/or a soft bendex gear. BUT... it could also be that your ring gear (on the flywheel) is warn. If it's bad... it will chew up the starter gears.

Would it be better to just replace the starter with one from DBelectrical For $56 or a Rebuild kit for $32 from EMS, MY Starter Spins Fine but doesnt always engage. Dont want to do this twice, leaning more towards the new one. Just wasnt sure if the rebuild kit would fix the problem.

There seems to be more noise from the flywheel area of this motor than the other one.
Has anyone ever removed the flywheel with the motor still in the boat? Does not seem like much room to work with.
Might be easier to pull the motor.

-Kevin

You need to get a quality starter, most if not all aftermarket starters are made in China (including DB). Get a used OEM or a Denso (which is OEM) starter. Since you are getting moisture into the starter you need to remove the magneto cover and replace the mag. cover gasket. While you are in there check the condition of the flywheel.

Lou

Since you are getting moisture into the starter you need to remove the magneto cover and replace the mag. cover gasket. While you are in there check the condition of the flywheel.

Lou

Is this possible on a Seadoo Sportser 1800 without removing the motor?
I think I should be able to get the cover off if I remove the starter relay box. I just don't want to waste time trying if it's not possible.

When running, I am still hearing some extra noise in that area when compared to the other motor. The other motor was just replaced with a SBT motor and maybe that why it is so quiet.

To be honest on a boat, I don't know. In a PWC it's a fairly easy job and usually there's more room in a boat.

Lou

I pulled the motor. I think I could be killing the starters due to engine vibrations. I did have one bad motor mount and I replaced it with the motor in the boat. After I replaced it there was still too much movement in the motor. I pulled the motor and found all four nuts loose that holds the motor mount plate to the motor.

-Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back