Kick a$$ MPG's from a truck !!!!

Dr Honda

Hi Guys,

Well... as some of you know, I'm a fan of Diesel. It's the best fuel for work, and for efficiency.

Anyway... when Ram announced that they were FINALLY putting a small Diesel engine in the 1/2 ton trucks... I was all over it. I waited for a long time for it to actually happen, but in Feb 2014, they opened the orders. I was one of the first to get my order in... and in early April 2014, my Ram EcoDiesel arrived. Ever since then, I've been rewarded with a nice riding truck, and VERY good MPG's. (compared to a gas V8 truck)

Last week... a job took me down to Washington DC. (i'm in Pitt PA) Since flying is just a pain in the butt these days... I decide to drive. I would say the traffic on the highway was about normal... and the down town DC city traffic was heavy. But, to my surprise... when I pulled up to the valet... I looked down, and saw a whopping 30.2 MPG !!!!!!! (pic posted, blue number, lower right in the center display)

Diesels are known to beat the EPA mileage listings... but even with the city traffic... I broke the projected MPG's for my truck by 2 mpg.

While down in DC, I had a meeting at another property, so I had to do a few miles of tight, stop-n-go... and a bit of idling when returning back to the valet at my hotel.

When returning home... I was just below a 1/2 tank, so I was curious about the actual MPG's. So, before I went home, I decided to top off the tank, at the same station I filled up at before the trip. I was shocked at what I found.....

For the total trip (about 438 miles)... I only used 14.7 gal of fuel !!!!! And the hand calculated mileage was 29.6 MPG for the total trip. (including the stop and go... and a few stops along the way)

So, for all the guys who are tired of only seeing 14~16 MPG with your gas truck... look at an EcoDiesel. (FYI... This puts out more torque than the Hemi. 420 lb/ft, so it tows great too)

412.jpg

291.jpg

409.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Diesels are great. And you can buy a tune for them that can make a very impressive improvement over the factory set up.

I can remember the little cars like the VW Rabbit and they ran like 400 mils to a take of fuel.

That is some impressive mileage!!

I get about 10-11mpg pulling the Challenger with my 03 Tundra but its paid off and I just cant bring myself to buy a new truck right now....not to mention I am looking at the new Chaparral 223 Vortex :drool5:

I get about 10-11mpg pulling the Challenger with my 03 Tundra but its paid off and I just cant bring myself to buy a new truck right now....not to mention I am looking at the new Chaparral 223 Vortex :drool5:

Last summer... I pulled my Islandia on vacation to Raystown lake. The boat had fuel and water... and there was 4 people in my truck, with all the supplies needed for a 4 day camping trip.

I was able to hit 20mpg on that trip. :thumbsup:

I get 27~28 mpg all the time, on the highway... but I've never hit the 30 mpg mark. That's why I was excited.

431.jpg

That's good mileage! I had a little Jetta TDI that got 45+ on the highways. LOVED that thing until it got totaled. I was interested in the eco Diesel but I don't think it has enough power for me. Leaning towards an F150 with an ecoboost instead. Have you towed anything that weighs 6000-8000 pound or a trailer that has a lot of wind resistance (enclosed or camper)?

I'm the type that tends to buy a used vehicle with 120K miles on it then run it into the ground so I'm right there with you, I don't actually drive that much, maybe 9K a year so for me i can't justify the huge jump up in cost. My last car payment was 1990, so i'm on a 25 year streak and plan on keeping it that way.

That's good mileage! I had a little Jetta TDI that got 45+ on the highways. LOVED that thing until it got totaled. I was interested in the eco Diesel but I don't think it has enough power for me. Leaning towards an F150 with an ecoboost instead. Have you towed anything that weighs 6000-8000 pound or a trailer that has a lot of wind resistance (enclosed or camper)?

Nope... I havn't.

BUT... my dad has (well, had) a 2014 F-150 eco boost. I will say... that little gas engine is a towing machine. BUT... you have to listen to it scream while pulling up a hill (it will down shift, and run at 5000 RPM) and, it will only get 8~9 mpg while doing so. My dad was towing a 26' camper with it. But then he finally listened to me, and got a diesel. (F-250 Powerstroke) Now he gets 13 mpg, and the engine in that thing isn't even working hard.

My dad is a Ford fan... and he's had a few of them over the last few years... and without a doubt... if I was going to get an F-150... I'd just get the 5.0L V8. It has better road manners, and gets better MPG's, loaded or not.

When I met my Wife she had a brand new 85 V W Golf Diesel. That car got 50 MPG. I thought it was a fluke. But I check the MPG every time I fueled. Highway, it was always 50 MPG. A Power Stroke 6.0 will get 20 MPG on the highway. A guy I work with gets it all the time.

Back