Keelshield Sealant

Status
Not open for further replies.

biffdotorg

For those of you that have installed Keelshield, did you do the final step and seal the edges with a marine-grade Silicone Caulk? Any tips on smoothing it out once laying down a bead?

Thanks as always.

I will assume Keelshield is not that popular on this board then. I got two response from long term Keelshield users on the Yamahajetboatforum. Both had run it on multiple boats over 10 years and never sealed it.

They said if applied as per the directions, they will not come off. I am pretty happy with the install so far. The off-white matches our hull so well, you have to look for it. It should be perfect for the number of times we beach this boat.

Good luck to anyone else who installs this product. I think it is well worth the investment to protect the fiberglass.

I used white marine sealant on my keel shield install, I really wanted the 3M sealant stuff but couldn't find any at the time, went with a generic from my hardware store and ended up being fine in the end. Smoothed it out with a credit card corner

I installed Keelshield on my 2012 Speedster 150 back in May. It came out perfect! I didn't use the sealant stuff on the edges and it seems to be holding up perfectly. It was definitely worth installing. I have a black hull and the black Keelshield looks like it was meant to be there from the factory.

Good to hear. Mine is good so far too. I bought the off-white for our hull and you don't even see it unless I point it out. It's a perfect match.

There were plenty of little gouges down there along the keel line as well indicating there are always things floating in the water that will hit the keel first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back