just bought 2007 Sea Doo islandia

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjet

Hello everyone,

I'm a new 4tec owner...I just purchase a 2007 islandia with twin 155hp 4 tec's that are N/A..So far I love the boat but during the maiden voyage discovered an issue...After idling out approx 1/2 mile I pushed the throttle forward both engine revved to 5k shortly I got a temp light on the port motor...Removed lanyard re-started the temp light was gone and re fired both engines, opened hatch exhaust was cold, felt engine block seemed to be about as warm as starboard engine... Got boat on plan cruising at 3500 rpm and ran for maybe another 1/2 mile, then port motor shut down...Kinda stumbled then slowly like running out of fuel..(no lights warning etc... idled back along coat went to eat...After say 1 hour re-cranked both engines both ran great say 1 mile then the port engine slowly died again... No temp light, no warning etc but same as before kinda stumbled then died.....

Could this be a heat issue like thermostat no opening engine get hot, then thermometer opens killing fuel pump? I.E safety feature?

Thanks for any help

Mike

When you give it full throttle do the engines go right up to near max engine RPMs?

If do, I'm betting your wear rings are the issue. Could be damaged impellers, but probably not.

What happens is, the impellers spin but don't move (pump) water. When they cavitate the engine does not get a good flow of water to cool it.
Replace the wear rings I you have a gap more than the width if a dime between the impeller and the wear ring. This will give your engine hr water it needs and give you performance unlike you have ever had,,

What Castlejoe said.. but.. I know they are dumb questions but very important...

Did you put in new spark plugs? Also, is the battery new or fully charged? Did you look at the intake grates making sure there are no obstructions? How old is the gas in there or did you put new gas?

I know they are dumb questions, but I was in disbelief when my rectifier and or battery seemed to be the culprit of everything in my old boat.. :)

by the way, congratulations & welcome... you got reliable engines in there - so not a bit of worry! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
re:

What Castlejoe said.. but.. I know they are dumb questions but very important...

Did you put in new spark plugs? Also, is the battery new or fully charged? Did you look at the intake grates making sure there are no obstructions? How old is the gas in there or did you put new gas?

I know they are dumb questions, but I was in disbelief when my rectifier and or battery seemed to be the culprit of everything in my old boat.. :)

by the way, congratulations & welcome... you got reliable engines in there - so not a bit of worry! :)

Thank you:

Yes I have installed new plugs in both motors...Yes both motors hit max RPMs...The Engines run fine when running. The problem occurs after approximately 1 mile, the port engine suddenly dies. Like the engine has some type of limp mode... Props and wear rings are fine and I don't seem to have a cavitation problem.

I was wondering if people had problems with the thermostats in these engines.

Proof sometimes having twin screws can save your hiney! It seems like you're saying the port motor doesn't seem to be overheating, best you can tell.

Unfortunately I don't know for sure, so I can't tell you precisely what it's supposed to be on your particular motor, however, in my experience I generally become concerned if the temp of most marine motors is approaching 180*F, and like to see 160*F or less with a 140*F thermostat. The best way I know of to confirm the actual temp for sure, is by removing the temp sensor and installing a thermometer in that location so you can measure the actual temp. This is what I do on many marine engines here, if there's ever any question.

Aside from a potential cooling issue causing power loss after running for some period of time, I'm thinking in terms of measuring the fuel pressure at the injector rail.

Proof sometimes having twin screws can save your hiney! It seems like you're saying the port motor doesn't seem to be overheating, best you can tell.

Unfortunately I don't know for sure, so I can't tell you precisely what it's supposed to be on your particular motor, however, in my experience I generally become concerned if the temp of most marine motors is approaching 180*F, and like to see 160*F or less with a 140*F thermostat. The best way I know of to confirm the actual temp for sure, is by removing the temp sensor and installing a thermometer in that location so you can measure the actual temp. This is what I do on many marine engines here, if there's ever any question.

Thanks

Aside from a potential cooling issue causing power loss after running for some period of time, I'm thinking in terms of measuring the fuel pressure at the injector rail.

Roger that, I'll have it laptop ed to see what the original temp light/code is...Any idea where to P/U a 10 thermostat for these 4tec engines? I'll also look into installing a temp gauge into the engines...

Roger that, I'll have it laptop ed to see what the original temp light/code is...Any idea where to P/U a 10 thermostat for these 4tec engines? I'll also look into installing a temp gauge into the engines...

I'm not too familiar with the seadoo 4-tec motors, as far as I know they may not have a thermostat in the cooling loop.

A couple other ideas though, you might see about making sure the antifreeze/coolant is topped up and any trapped air is purged out... Sometimes closed-loop systems have air bleed valves for this purpose, usually on/near the coolant recirculation pump..

Assuming you haven't yet, you'd probably appreciate getting your hands on the shop service manuals for the 155NA, these manuals are worth their weight in gold.

What happens is, the impellers spin but don't move (pump) water. When they cavitate the engine does not get a good flow of water to cool it.

Coastie, the seawater from the jet pumps primarily just keeps the exhaust system cool, doesn't it? I thought these had a coolant heat exchanger mounted in a notch/recess outside the hull?

Last edited by a moderator:
Coastie, the seawater from the jet pumps primarily just keeps the exhaust system cool, doesn't it? I thought these had a coolant heat exchanger mounted in a notch/recess outside the hull?

I didn't realize this was the boat forum. I think the ride plate is the heat exchanger. I so, then ye to the raw water cooling the exhaust.

That said, same issue as I am pretty sure there is a temperature sensor on the exhaust. Either a lack of water or sucking air would cause the temp light I'm thinking.

If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back