Jump starting my jet ski

Status
Not open for further replies.

laze

Would i mess up my jet ski if i use one of those jump starter battery pack to start up my jet ski? Since my battery is low

Hmmm....

All the warnings I have seen say to NOT JUMP START your ski. Use a trickle charger over night.

I think it messes up the electrical system...

I mean jump start of the battery pack not jumping cable from the car.. But if thats what you mean ok :op Thanks.

Battery pack....

Those new battery packs, that you purchase to hold a charge, that you can use in an emergency......?
I believe they are o.k....since in essence, your not jump starting. It's the equivalent of having a second battery in your boat.
Jump starting a boat/pwc allows another electrical system to come into contact with yours. The power generated from another vehicle is 14 vdc. If you had to jump your motor from a car or another boat, I'd make sure the other vehicle that had the hot battery is NOT running and that if possible, disconnect their negative terminal from the battery. Then you should be able to jump yours.
The rules of jump starting are to keep the two electrical power sources from being connected to each other. In other words, when the one your jumping from is running and generating electricity and when the one your trying to start, gets started, it will be generating electricity......you'd have two DC systems connected at the same time for that short moment. That's when damage can occur.
But jumping from the charge pack should be fine...........

Last edited by a moderator:
Seadoosnipe...

Cool! I did not know all that. That may come in handy in the future if the ski won't start up...:cheers:

Ya thanks alot dude.. Besides this battery pack is almost the size of my jet ski battery lol.. It shouldnt give too much power in to mess up anything.. Thanks for your help. im just trying to learn stuff about jet ski's :o)

I finally got a suggestion!

Take it from someone who learned the hard way! Though jump starting your ski is not good hooking the cables up backwards is even worse! I know this sounds obvious and right now you are probaly saying "duh!" :stupid: But the phrase "never say never" I suppose is true. Take your time on this one simple thing as it only takes one time to cross up the + and - and then youve fried your computer! I know because that is exactly what happened to me.

A brand new engine sat in my 'doo for nearly a year before I found another computer that would work for my ski. A Nightmare. Being you are using one of those new battery packs it should lessen the chances but you can never be too careful about something that seems so simple.

One more thing. At least with my seadoos and I assume it applies for all, they really do not like weak voltage output. Most of the time, mine will not run at all if the battery is really low even if it can be jumped enough for the engine to turn over. Evidently the spark is not hot enough when the battery is weak. So good luck and if you don't have a good trickle charger, it would be a worthwhile investment .

Well said....

Well said mh rogers............your right on. I could add, that when you talk about the "Doos" not liking weak power, your very right. If the power output of the battery falls below so many amps, it will not even try to start. The amps needed are different according to the engine size and whether it's a "smart" electronic engine (4-TEC) or just a simple 717 or 787.
But crossing your terminal post, will do a MPEM in, in an instant. The 5 amp fuse is there to protect the MPEM, but in some circumstances, before that fuse "pops", it's sent the charge through that did the damage.
So, great input and well said mh........I agree totally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back