Islandia repower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evanh

Hey everyone new to the forum. I have the chance to pick up a 2002 islandia with a blown motor. I don't know what is wrong with the motor. The rest of the boat is in great shape. So let's start with what you guys think it should be worth? Now my question is, are there other repowering options out there? I really don't want to rebuild the merc. Would it be just as easy to throw a small block v8 in there? Has anyone repo we're there seadoo with something different? Thanks.

The biggest issue with a repower other than an outboard power head, is the vertical drive into the pump. When you look at most V8 powered Jet boats, the engine sits in front of the pump allowing the horizontal drive to run directly into the pump.

Since the merc powered SeaDoos used an outboard power head, or more specifically, a V6 with a Vertical crank, it can be mounted directly above the pump. You would have bigger issues trying to figure out how to transfer that power.

We have talked in the merc forum about the costs of rebuilding a power head, or replacing with a rebuild. It's not cheap, but the other alternatives would be even more expensive given the engineering needed to make it work. Anything can be done with enough money.

My dream was still being able to modify the pump enough to accept a Mercury Verado powerhead! Nothing would be cooler than a 300hp supercharged 4-stroke!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back