IS it a bad idea to lighten the pto...

Status
Not open for further replies.

original420racing

I got a 96 spx .It came with a jetinetics flywheel .so i thought i could lighten the pto or buy a light weight one.while its all apart.

I have also read i could use one out of a 580.

I have a yellow 580 that has one modified to almost the size of the driveshaft is has no problems baddest 580 on the lake...lol

If you arent worried about engine life it will be a slight upgrade in acceleration. At least thats what Ive been told by people in the know.

As Tonka said... less rotational mass = faster acceleration.

But along with that.......

1) if you have a little air leak... it will bring out the cavitation easier.
2) without the weight... it can run rough, and even be hard on the crank, and rod bearings since the "Fire" will be a harder pulse.
3) You will have to teak the carbs to make sure you have enough fuel for your transition, since it will be faster though the mid RPM's. (normally, just a little larger pilot, and turn the low screw in a little)

Personally... for the minor acceleration improvement... it's not worth the hassles on a recreation ski.

With that said... back in the day... I had an SPX with a total loss ignition, and the PTO was nothing more than the center hub. (coupler, and threads) It was fun... but I would rather have the reliability.

The other issue is twisting the crank when the pump comes out of the water and the RPM's go up then the pump loads the engine hard when it hooks up again and without the flywheel weight of the PTO it can twist the crank. As the others have said it is not the greatest thing for a rec ski.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back