iPod/iPhone Stereo in Pre Radio Speedsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

digerata

I'm heading quickly down the path of adding tunes to my speedster.

Budget and minimal, quality modifications are priority for me. Originally, I was thinking, why do I need a stereo? All my music is on my iPhone...

That led me down the thought of just getting an inexpensive amp (20 - 30 watts) and speakers. Creating a nice home/dock for iPhones/iPods in the driver glovebox. Pretty minimal, huh?

That leads to the problem of changing music and volume. I immediately thought, SIRI! Awesome, voice activated volume, music and everything. You could even make phone calls! Unfortunately, there is no good way to work with the iPhone headphone remote that you could incorporate into your dash.

So that all is shot. Time for Plan B:

Boss Audio Systems MCK1580.6 Marine Receiver and Speaker Package

Thought I would share this link. $125 for a head unit and 2 speakers, that same package is $200 at overtons... The head unit has this sweet internal dock to hold your iPhone/iPod. Love it. It doesn't have the Siri functionality, but that price works for me...

In my last boat i put in 2 infiniti marine speakers on a 300 watt marine amp. I then ran a long rca/headphone cable out to my iphone. I found a waterproof pouch with a headphone jack and just put the iphone in that. Put a little cb radio hook on the back then i would just hang it there and pick it up to change music, etc clean setup, no need for a head unit

That's a good deal, but remember, you get what you pay for. Don't expect to hear it while thE boat is moving. It will provide a way to listen to some basic tunes though while you are going slow or sitting.

The keys are power and placement. You dont need a head unit if you dont want one. A good amp and good speakers in the right place, you will get good loud tunes

I just added 2 Polk audio speakers and a Sony head unit w built in amp to my challenger. It sounds awesome at the beach and while we are traveling around. I may add to more speakers and really crank things up.

Sony deck really? Sony makes the worst quality car audio, in my opinion. I'd rather have a 10 year older Pioneer than a brand new Sony.

i think some people's idea of "good" sound is a lot different than others. There's no way that a stereo without an amp and sub would sound good to me, but different strokes for different folks, i guess.

Stereo and cheap should never be used together if you ask me. This is the one area that the old saying "you get what you paid for" really comes into play.

Good is definitely relative! In my house: Marantz/Definitive Technology/etc. In my Jeep: Alpine/Kove Audio/JL Audio.

The difference this time around is I live on a smaller lake, don't want to piss the neighbors off *and* I now have 3 little boys running around. Disposable Income -> *POOF!*

So yeah, the definition of good has changed for me. :)

If you are plugging your iPhone 4 or 4s in through the headset jack, or the Docking connector this may work.

I have this Ultimate Addons case for my 4s. I use it on my motorcycle, golfcar, and on my sled (until the phone didn't like the cold)

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-iP...1176&sr=1-2&keywords=ultimate+addons+iphone+4

This particular link shows the RAM mount version. If you order it through Amazon, it comes fast and you don't have to pay International shipping and exchange. The case is the most water resistant I have ever seen without being truly waterproof. You can still operate your phones touchscreen.

Good luck!

The Sony deck is one of the top they make and that is available for marine. The deck does also allow us to plug in our iphone or ipod with a built in cable and can be controlled by the stereo or the wireless remote which is great so the phone is not left out in the elements. The Polk audio speakers and amp make the difference here. It's not waking the neighbors but it does the trick and sounds great and is loud enough to here at full throttle. It works for us but I do plan on adding another set of the Polk speakers which are worth every penny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, those Boss speakers that came with the deck are terrible. They are as good as headphones sound from 3 feet away. :p

On top of that, they are an odd size hole for 6.5", larger than normal. If you cut your boat up for them, you are pretty much stuck with them because the bolt hole pattern for for every other speaker is too close to the edge.

So I ended up buying a set of JL AUDIO MX650 6.5" Coaxials.

The reviews are very positive on them. We'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back