Installing a Garmin echo 200 fish finder 180 challenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnchamp

Where is the ideal place to mount the tranducer on the transom of the boat? I've seen one thread that he installed it inside on the hull. I don't think my tranducer would transmit through the fiberglass hull or get a poor signal. Please if anyone have a suggestion or pictures that is worth a thousand words it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

The best place to mount a transducer depends on the transducer and type of boat. The Garmin 200 has a dual beam transom mount transducer that also sense water temperature. This means it is not to be mounted inside and shoot thru the hull. It must be mounted outside on the transom.

When mounting a transom style transducer you want to mount is off to one side and not in the middle of the transom. This keeps it out of the turbulent water created by the jet. You also want to be sure that it is mounted low enough to stay in the water while you are underway.

best way to test any transducer inside the hull is to have someone hold it in a pool of water inside the hull, or on top of a ziplock bag of water. The physical connection will allow the beam to shoot through the hull.

the transducers that don't like going through the hull are the new Downward Scanning sonars. Most others will work fine, read your manual and check it out.

My dual frequency sonar works great through the hull. Your Dual Beam, may be something different.

Good luck!

If you mount the transducer inside the boat, you will loose the ability to read water temperature. A nice feature of the Echo 200.

If you mount the transducer inside the boat, you will loose the ability to read water temperature. A nice feature of the Echo 200.

I mounted my transducer inside the hull last year. I just used a large blob of silicone to hold it in place. The proper method is epoxy but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and didn't want to destroy the transducer trying to get it out of epoxy. I get erratic readings very often. This could be from the silicone. I'm going to mount it outside because I have a water temperature sensor as well, but it shows the temp. of the engine compartment. Mine is not a true through hull transducer so it will work much better touching the water.

Peace

Yes, you lose temp, but on most pleasure boats, water temp is not the main concern. As far as Epoxy vs Silicone, yes, Epoxy is the way to do it. A number of us did it last year in our Ski Locker with Epoxy, and they are working great.

If you don't mind drilling in your hull, mount it outside. If not, the epoxy route works just great and I have lost very little sensitivity. The method we used is well documented in the manual that shipped with my Lowrance and most hummingbird models. So it's not unusual.

Good luck,

Do anyone of u have pictures showing where u mount inside and do u cover the whole transducer with epoxy fullyl. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Nope, just need a nice mixed puddle on the bottom of the ski locker. Once the two components are poured in, mix them with a popsicle stick. Once mixed, set the transducer on top and press it into the mix to be sure no bubbles are between the two. It will look like it is set into cement when done.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?41722-Transducer-in-ski-locker

More photos of the whole install in my boat here:

http://biffdotorg.blogspot.com/2011/06/who-wants-cheesy-depth-guage-when-you.html

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back