I have lost confidence in my dealership's service department

Status
Not open for further replies.

despower

Sorry for posting a rather advanced question here (maybe I need premium membership :confused:), but here goes.

A while back, I posted a problem with my Sportster.
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=21463&highlight=mpem

Just to recap, I isolated a Fault Code 5 to either an MPEM or TPS problem, and ultimately to isolate the problem, I needed to get the Seadoo hooked up to a Vehicle Communication Kit at the dealership. That was almost two weeks ago. Well, the dealership is the only BPR registered service centre for about 350 km (220 miles), and they told me that it might not be until September until they were able to look at my problem. Luckily they found an opening about 10 days ago and diagnosed the problem as a faulty TPS and ignition coil (the latter is probably a problem that I didn't know that I had). Since it wasn't an MPEM fault, I did three dozen summersaults (since a new MPEM is a tad pricey). The replacement TPS and coil was ordered and it arrived mid last week.

If you are familiar with a TPS replacement, you know that the MPEM has to be reprogrammed for the new throttle positions. I consulted with the dealership today to see what the status was and they told me that they have been unable to interface the B.U.D.S software to my MPEM - they get a "this MPEM is incompatible with the BUDS software"... they spent the last week consulting BRP as to what the problem is. For example, they tried to use older version of the software to no avail... apparently the dealership is having a similar problem with another 2006 Sportster they are presently servicing so they don't think it is a problem with my MPEM. They are thinking that they might have to pull the MPEM and send it to BRP for servicing. That is something I could have done weeks ago and now it will likely be several more weeks before they fix the problem (if they ever do).

So, this issue isn't giving me a warm fuzzy feeling that the dealership techs know what they are at. The season here is very short too... the problem originally arose in early August and time is slipping away. This season may be a complete write-off for me since I have only had the boat out 4 times.

OK... so the above may be a bit of a rant, so I should ask a clear question. Has anyone ever heard of this type of incompatibility problem? Any solutions? I pulled the MPEM myself and confirmed that it is a BRP MPEM that is the same age as the boat (so it isn't a replacement or aftermarket computer).

Signed... shorebound and ticked off.

Sorry to hear about your problems. It sounds like a B.U.D.S (Bombardier Utility Diagnostic Software) communication issue. Every now & then it will happen. There have been so many updates to the software that when it "overwrites" itself in the computers directory, it gets confused (that's what the techies @ the BRP hotline told me, kind of makes sense 'cause I don't know $hit when it comes to computers, lol!). They'll probably have to delete it completely from their computer & re-load it, and even that's not guranteed to work:rolleyes:. Good luck, I hope they get you straightened out before your season ends.

That actually makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. I guess I will just have to be patient while they sort it out.

Just got the bad news from the dealership that they think my MPEM is bad. They followed Jet Set's advice and reinstalled the BUDS software on a new laptop. Lo and behold, they could get back into the MPEM again and reset the computer for the new TPS. They had it running on a hose for a while and everything looked fine, but then it threw a TPS failure again. After consulting BRP, they decided that in fact it wasn't the TPS after all, but an MPEM problem. So now they want to change out the MPEM - problem is, I told them that WAS THE PROBLEM THREE WEEKS AGO.

MY DEALERSHIP :boxing_smiley: ME

Well, maybe I'll get the boat back in time for Xmas
:rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back