How to make the jetski shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

njcowboy

Now that the mechanical work is out of the way, I want to make the jetski look nicer.

The fiberglass is dull, can a restorer wax be used on the ski just like a boat?

Also, the vinyl has what I thought was black mildew on it, but it is not coming off with the normal mildew remover. Is there anything to take off black stains on the handle bar pads and the seat?

Cleaners....

I go to "Advanced Auto Parts" for my cleaning and waxing needs. These guys seem to know what works best by the amount they sell of certain products. Check out your local auto parts store, they'll help you choose something that may work pretty good........:cheers:

Go to Home Depot and get a product in a metal can called Gel Gloss (don't get the aeresol can, get the paste). It is for restoring fiberglass. It will take off water spots, polish, and leave a carnuba wax that will make the ski look new again. Wont scratch.

If it is real bad then go to West Marine and get some 3M Restorer Wax it has a little more grit and will cut through some nasty stuff. Wash it first of course. Follow up wit Gel Gloss or quality carnuba wax.

It it has scum line from being in the water use Starbrite Hull Cleaner also found at West Marine or Walmart. Follow up with some good wax or Gel Gloss.

Last edited by a moderator:
outnumbered,
Thanks.
I will try the Gel Gloss. It is no where near what my C-hawk was and I restored that with a 3M restorer wax.

There is some oxidation, but not much. The hull is clean. I did wipe it down with On/Off, it is, I believe, equivalent to hull cleaner.

The vinyl is what my biggest concern is. I would love to be able to get rid of the black spots on it, but it is not mildew.

you have tried bleach on the black spots? if so vinyl spray works pretty good. what color? yellow has to come from west marine or boaters world. purple or green? prolly hafta get new seat cover on ebay. they go on real easy. for the glass, any rubbing or polishing compound will do the trick. long as u have a right angle grinder with a buffing pad.

Last edited by a moderator:
you have tried bleach on the black spots? if so vinyl spray works pretty good. what color? yellow has to come from west marine or boaters world. purple or green? prolly hafta get new seat cover on ebay. they go on real easy. for the glass, any rubbing or polishing compound will do the trick. long as u have a right angle grinder with a buffing pad.

The seat is green. so is the padding. I tried the vinyl spray (mildew cleaner)
I will try straight bleach.

My boat comes out great with 3M restorer wax so I guess I will stick with that.

Buffing the gel coat with a power buffer and compound is a last resort, as it takes off the top surface and is easy to burn if your not experienced with a power buffer. You could get a great shine if you use a power waxer to add luster, after the 3m restorer.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back