How strong is JB Weld?

bigJake

This is an idler arm for the belt on my mower deck. It looks like the arm became loose and got positioned such that the bracket was rubbing against the main pulley and over time the pulley wore through the arm and broke it off. First option would be to find a place to weld the bracket back on the arm. (I got my trailer welded at a Midas shop once, so thought I might try there first). I was wondering how strong JB Weld is? Would it hold something like this that has tension applied to it or is basically just for filling holes? BTW, I priced a new arm at $72.

Attachments

• 20151102_203344.jpg
    20151102_203344.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20151102_203359 (1).jpg
    20151102_203359 (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
From what I've seen and heard JB Weld is almost 100% like a weld.

Two examples: Back in 97 I JB'd a sprinkler pump water housing that cracked over the winter, I'm still used the pump in 2015 without further repair............I the late 80' I was "rebuilding " a 1968 5HP Yardman snowblower, B&S motor and dropped the flywheel and broke 2 of the cooling fins off....JB them back on and believe it or not I used it every winter until 2005 when the governor gave way and ruined the crank plus the oil pan cover seals.....bought a used motor and still use that one.

I would try JB and see what happens next year.
BTW what yr and model is it?....can you buy a used part from a local guy that works out his garage?
I have a couple people I can ask for you.

That will not hold with JB. JB in my eyes is totally temporary. Stop by a shop and have it welded. If you were closer I'd do it for free. I just welded my neighbors steering arm on his vintage craftsman mower last week. LOL, it finally broke free on a straight away, when he went to turn before he hit his house the mower kept going straight and he couldn't react fast enough and hit the house.

That will not hold with JB. JB in my eyes is totally temporary. Stop by a shop and have it welded. If you were closer I'd do it for free. I just welded my neighbors steering arm on his vintage craftsman mower last week. LOL, it finally broke free on a straight away, when he went to turn before he hit his house the mower kept going straight and he couldn't react fast enough and hit the house.

thanks Racer.
it was a pita to get the arm off so i definitely want the fix to be permanent! weld shop it is.
---------------------------
Got it welded today. 10 minute wait. 10 bucks. He even painted it! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
JB Weld does a very good job for what it is..

That said, that thing is in your hands. Go to any auto repair place. They all have tig / mig welders. It will be like $5 I bet..

Back