How screwed am I? Sucked up rocks....

Status
Not open for further replies.

utah997

98 speedster out today. Ran across a random low spot. Both impellers have rocks jammed against the blades. Neither engine will start...

What's the easiest way to get access so I can get all the rocks dislodged??

I suspect you will have to pull the pumps off, 2 small nuts for the reverse and steering cable connector, 4 large bolts on each side to remove the reverse gates and steering assembly, and large 4 nuts each side to pull the pumps. Then it is just a matter of pulling them off which may be easy or hard depending on if neoprene rubbber rings were used vs silicone adhesive (the old way)

Take the pump apart... and pull out the rocks. No easy way to do it, since it HAS to come apart to inspect the internals properly.

I did that myself 2 years ago. Once apart, I could get the rock out... and found there was really no damage.

No matter the pump damage, your not screwed at least.

Pull it, fix it, put it back together and fire it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rock.JPGUgh.. took the starboard pump part. Yup.. rocks. lol

Wow. I really did a number on this.

Looks like there is some plastic peeled up from the sleeve? (not sure what that's called)

Going to pull the prop(s) off and take them to a local place that claims they can fix them. Sounds like I need a specialty tool to remove them (which I don't have)

Thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully we can get back up and running. Going to be extra cautious next time (not really, but it sounds better to say it)

Lol could they get any bigger that's the best picture iv ever seen I was thinking small pebbles this picture made my day sorry for your trouble though.

View attachment 32508Ugh.. took the starboard pump part. Yup.. rocks. lol

Wow. I really did a number on this.

Looks like there is some plastic peeled up from the sleeve? (not sure what that's called)

Going to pull the prop(s) off and take them to a local place that claims they can fix them. Sounds like I need a specialty tool to remove them (which I don't have)

Thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully we can get back up and running. Going to be extra cautious next time (not really, but it sounds better to say it)

The special tool is widely available and not expensive.
http://www.***********/Solas-Impeller-Tool-Seadoo-WR012/dp/B005UGF1IK
(Seems URL of place that rhymes with RainForest is not appreciated. I tried Seadoo Parts Warehouse first but did not find it. If someone can point to it, great.
Just search for Seadoo Impeller Tool and you will find it.

You need new wear rings for sure. (that's the plastic sleeve around the impeller.)

Depending on how the pump fared, you might not need to rebuild it. I've never locked one up like that so, not sure if it will need bearings or not. If you like a trust the shop you are going to, great! If not, do it yourself and save you a weekend!!! (The impeller "fix" must be farmed out, not a DIY thing I don't think, but I would bang/fix as best I could before I would give them up this late in the season if It meant not losing a weekend)

Even if you need to rebuild the pump, it's something that can be done at home with the right tools and parts. A press is best, but you can manage with very large vise and some creativity.

Best of luck!

Lol could they get any bigger that's the best picture iv ever seen I was thinking small pebbles this picture made my day sorry for your trouble though.

I know.. I tore into it .. I was like WTF? If the boat is worth breaking, it's worth breaking in style right?

Impressive,, I think you are the winner for the season as far as sucking up large rocks...

At least it is all easily fixable. Impeller repairs, wear ring and put it back together..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back