How Hot is too hot for a 587 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkarvelis

So I took my seadoo out to a local lake to adjust the carbs while it was still tied to the trailer. It ran good, but it sputtered a bit a full throttle.

I did not adjust it much as I had a leak in the head gasket, and sprayed water out the PTO cylinder. I have the o-rings ordered, and I hope to get them in Wednesday, and take it back to the lake Thursday.

I felt the top of the engine and it was cool, but the MAG side was so hot I could not touch it. I was peeing water out of both hoses on the top back of the ski.

Is there a way to tell how hot is too hot? I have a IR thermometer that I was going to take with me, and shoot some temperatures.

I did notice some sand on the head when I replaced the cylinder head cover gasket, and I cleaned it off. There is more on it now.

Is there an easy way to clean it? I though about a shop vac with a small hose down along the cylinders.

They run right around 150 degrees, I once had a sensor that plugged into the head where the overheat sensor goes and ran it to a gauge mounted in a plastic box, the readings I got were right around 150 F.

They should run about the same temp so if one is cool and the other is too hot to touch you have a blockage and need to find it.

As WFO said 150 shouldn't be "too hot to touch".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back