• This site contains eBay affiliate links for which Sea-Doo Forum may be compensated.

How do you lift your ski?

Status
Not open for further replies.

One1

I am a 1 man show and I need to play musical trailers with 3 Jet Ski's I own. I can make a cradle/table for the jet ski to sit on when off the trailer, but how do I get it off one and back on the other? My ski is 538 lbs and I can't lift it, not to mention it's bulky size. I know there are others out there that don't have help of others that have to deal with this. I can't do a crane because I have to transport it through a low door into my shop. I need ideas that are a bit more...... creative. Leverage maneuvers, tricks, etc that will allow me to prop and wiggle the ski off and lift onto another trailer. I really don't have any ideas so whatever you have I'm interested, but I'm not looking to buy anything specialized to do it.

i have a dolly that i made to hold the ski. Back the trailer up to the garage, and i pull it off the trailer and onto the dolly by myself.

Dolly has wheels so i can scoot it around as needed. In theory you could do the same to jockey them between trailers. Once on the dolly you just use the winch to pull it back on the trailer.

If getting it off the trailer is a problem you could always use a floor jack with a clock of wood to lift it a bit to make pulling it off the trailer easier.

Well, I have your same problem as I have 6 seadoo's and one single trailer and one two place trailer and my wife is usually nowhere to be found when I need to move them. I usually take different skis on each trip because I love them all so it becomes musical skis every time before and after a trip to the lake. I made a few of these stands... for about $40 each in materials.aquacarts-shop-stand-dolly-aq-19-d15.jpg

With a little silicone spray on the bunks I can slide the 2 seaters off by myself and winch them on the trailers. For the 3 seater you can attach a winch to something solid to drag it onto the cart then the trailer winch to load it back on.

20180430_173813.jpg
I had this same setup in my garage, but moved it to my shed once I got it built.

This is probably overkill but use the rear bucket and a jet ski lift rig to swap trailers :) I am preparing to run a Beam with a trolley coming of the front of my shop so I can get skis from the trailer to my stands and from one trailer to another. I am also going to use an electric hoist. Not much more man-handling skis for me. Too much of a pain.

The rig you see in the picture is the one I made to pull the back hoe engine.... all by myself. Jet skis are much easier. :)
BHoe - Rt Close up.JPG

+1 to all... heres my current set up... 2 place trailer and 1 diy cart... I just had to move the GSI to the trailer and the GS to the cart...
Backed the trailer up to the stack of pallets you see on the left side.. Pulled the GS to the pile of pallets, Winched the GSI up on to the trailer then winched the GS back onto the cart using a tie down connected to the trailer.. one man show.. Took a bit of brawn but it worked out

Attachments

• 20180727_160048.jpg
    20180727_160048.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 78
If I'm just going onto a cart I grab the 4 wheeler with a winch to slide a ski from one to another. If I'm transferring between trailers I'll grab my empty single and use the winch on it or use my Harbor Freight engine crane and lift slings. The crane gets used to pull motors as well.
158d28e4b982cc39d2001883f18205a3.jpg

Last edited:
I have been thinking about making a rack with rollers to get the skis off and one the trailers but you still need rollers on the trailer to make it really easy. I'm gonna come up with something cool. :)

dogoodwin10 that is the rig I use on occasion. :)

I have been thinking about making a rack with rollers to get the skis off and one the trailers but you still need rollers on the trailer to make it really easy. I'm gonna come up with something cool. :)

dogoodwin10 that is the rig I use on occasion. :)

With some spray silicone lube they slide on and off the carpet bunks better than wheels.

With some spray silicone lube they slide on and off the carpet bunks better than wheels.
even my big 3 seater I can pull right off with some lube on the bunks all by myself with ease. I may need a little winch help initially to get them moving after trailering.

If I'm just going onto a cart I grab the 4 wheeler with a winch to slide a ski from one to another. If I'm transferring between trailers I'll grab my empty single and use the winch on it or use my Harbor Freight engine crane and lift slings. The crane gets used to pull motors as well.
158d28e4b982cc39d2001883f18205a3.jpg

I use my crane also, but what is that piece you're using to connect it to on the rub rail?

Thanks for the ideas! So far to use what I have I’d be going the route with my atv winch and a stand. Initially the issue will be that the stand will be higher than the trailer so I’ll have to work that out, but i think it’ll happen. Now to build the stand. I’m tempted to weld a frame up since that’s what i do, but cheaper and maybe easier to build it from wood/pvc.

I made myself a stand with wheels.

1. Back up ATV with front winch in the back of garage.
2. Place stand in front of the ATV inside the garage.
3. Back up trailer with ski on it just in front of the stand (using a car naturally or a manual trailer dolly).
4. Winch the ski on the stand by attaching winch in the back hook of the ski below the seat (make sure your wheels have stoppers).

And voila, you can roll your ski in your garage on its stand.

To put back the ski on your trailer:

1. Place stand in garage with front of the ski pointing toward the garage door.
2. Back up your car an trailer just in front of the ski.
3. Take the winch from your trailer and winch the ski back on the trailer (I put some cooking oil on the trailer bars to facilitate the transfer).

With this you can have one trailer and a few stands.

Benji.

I am a 1 man show and I need to play musical trailers with 3 Jet Ski's I own. I can make a cradle/table for the jet ski to sit on when off the trailer, but how do I get it off one and back on the other? My ski is 538 lbs and I can't lift it, not to mention it's bulky size. I know there are others out there that don't have help of others that have to deal with this. I can't do a crane because I have to transport it through a low door into my shop. I need ideas that are a bit more...... creative. Leverage maneuvers, tricks, etc that will allow me to prop and wiggle the ski off and lift onto another trailer. I really don't have any ideas so whatever you have I'm interested, but I'm not looking to buy anything specialized to do it.

Yes, we launched them on Lake Michigan in Winthrop Harbor but you do have to back the trailer in a little deeper to get that one off...

I can't find the picture now, but I saw someone use hay bails and thought for a low buck solution that would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back