How do I wire my 4-prong generator up to my 3-wire compressor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooper77515

freebie fixer
Premium Member
I have 25' of 10/4 wired into the generator's 4-prong 220 plug, and the compressor is currently wired with only 3 wires. 2 hots and a ground.

If I run the two hots from the generator 4-wire set, and the ground to the ground, what do I do with the left over white "neutral" wire?

Kustom Karl can probably offer a bit of insight to this, but I'll set the disclaimer right now that you need to double check ANYTHING anyone tells you regarding electrical wiring. Karl recently went through his compressor and rewired it.

I have already gotten one suggestion, and a couple others that sounded like it. Figured I would get another opinion before I fire it up.

I don't trust 220.

Made a couple phone calls and did a little research on the net, and figured it out.

I tell you, asking someone for help on a 220 is like asking for government secrets!!!

I am not sure if it is more that they don't want to be liable for telling me how to do it and having me sue them when I get shocked, or if they want to keep their skills secret so they can charge astronomical fees to do it for you.

It was VERY easy, once I figured out where that 4th wire went. I know they would have charged me $85 to do it for me.

Short version...

White wire goes where it is supposed to. on the neutral post.

Mine didn't have a neutral post, so it is just added as a second ground. drill and tap a second screw hole on the frame of the compressor.

But, since my compressor IS the frame, and the motor is mounted to the frame, and the circuitry, and original ground screw, is all mounted to the same frame, my electrician buddy told me it is OK to put both the green and white wires on the same ground screw.

Post a pic Scoop. Im curious to see what the box looks like....

History: I deal with this stuff every day. Its my day job. There are so many different vintages of wiring setups , so many different manufacturers that it can easily become a nightmare. Just like Seadoo stuff, you can tinker as an amateur , but always ask the Pro's.

This thread is over 4 years old, if you need help with something please start a new thread, btw 220 may not need a neutral but it definitely needs a ground. Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back