How crazy is this?

go_panthers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Question for you coastal riders (ski and boat). This video was taken from my 2010 210 Challenger SE. The two SeaDoo skis are a 2003 XP and a 1995 SPX.

The question is: On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being biggest), how big are these waves compared to the worst riding conditions you've been in. The image stabilization on the camera takes away a little from how big the waves were. As you can tell from the audio, we were having fun. The run was from Shalotte Inlet in NC to a navigational buoy about 1 mile off shore.

The video is about 6 minutes long, and the waves get bigger as we go (it seems).

[video]https://youtu.be/X8uxQwCjChY[/video]

Been in worse where are you see are white caps.
At least they are riding in two's.....

Looks fun for them not so much for you
:lol:

We were the safety boat. We all took turns. Boarding an SPX in those waves was quite the challenge.

The hardest waves I ever navigated were on Lake Erie. We had 12 foot waves and they were so close to each other you had to be VERY aggressive to make any turns. If not, you were rolled over by the next wave.

In the ocean, I have ridden on 18 footers. Not a big deal as most of them roll as compared to break. I've been in a few 30 foot waves on some Coast Guard ships and a 22 and a 25 foort Boston Whaler.

70.jpg

71.jpg

72.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for you coastal riders (ski and boat). This video was taken from my 2010 210 Challenger SE. The two SeaDoo skis are a 2003 XP and a 1995 SPX.

The question is: On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being biggest), how big are these waves compared to the worst riding conditions you've been in. The image stabilization on the camera takes away a little from how big the waves were. As you can tell from the audio, we were having fun. The run was from Shalotte Inlet in NC to a navigational buoy about 1 mile off shore.

The video is about 6 minutes long, and the waves get bigger as we go (it seems).

[video]https://youtu.be/X8uxQwCjChY[/video]
There is no way that was today, was it? It's cold a shiz to be on those skis wearing what they are.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

It was on Sept 12. Just got around to getting it edited. Had about 12 hours of video to wade through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys carry machine guns out on Lake Erie? Now even the EPA has an armed division!

These 3~4 footers are planting the sprit of this 30 foot bote under water:

Attachments

• 129448885.0ZaSey7m.jpg
    129448885.0ZaSey7m.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 30
The hardest waves I ever navigated were on Lake Erie. We had 12 foot waves and they were so close to each other you had to be VERY aggressive to make any turns. If not, you were rolled over by the next wave.

In the ocean, I have ridden on 18 footers. Not a big deal as most of them roll as compared to break. I've been in a few 30 foot waves on some Coast Guard ships and a 22 and a 25 foort Boston Whaler.

70.jpg

71.jpg

72.jpg

Those are awesome pics. Thanks for your service!

Here's a much shorter video. My buddy almost stuck that landing....

[video]https://youtu.be/-T9bXhhVkb0[/video]

Looks like it was later in the day and weather got better but winds picked up?

Rollers have white caps

I bought my 210 Challenger from a Guardsman who was moving up to Maine and didn't want to have the boat for such a short season up there. Tons of respect for you guys.

I bought my 210 Challenger from a Guardsman who was moving up to Maine and didn't want to have the boat for such a short season up there. Tons of respect for you guys.

Depending on what his job was, it was either in GREAT shape or BEAT to crap.. LOL

It was in awesome shape. A four-year-old boat with 27 hours on the engines, immaculate condition. In the last 17 months, I've put 77 more hours on it. I love the boat.

nice video, and although its not typical that I run into that size water intentionally, but i've hit that crap by accident before on several occasions. Usually Ocean, not gulf.

I actually don't mind the big rollers, if they are spaced well they can be a blast and are generally quite predictable, its the washbowl conditions that I really dislike when you come off a wave and you get smacked sideways.

Actually it was a day just like that that made my wife hang up her life jacket for good, she was on the back hanging on for dear life with her eyes closed. I was going.. "yeeeee haaaaa" and having a blast for about a 9 mile run around Sanibel Island. She has been out since but only on zero wind days and only on the river, but she took maybe 18 months off the water after that experience and I think 5 years later she's still a little angry with me even now for deciding to take the open water side instead of going back through the bay.

I'm older and softer now so when I see small craft advisories I stay inland or stay home, but a few years back when I saw the advisories I was heading out !

[QUOTE\]I'm older and softer now so when I see small craft advisories I stay inland or stay home, but a few years back when I saw the advisories I was heading out ![/QUOTE]

I hear that! I use to seek out storms and big waves, 1996 I went out in a hurricane, 15-20 foot waves. If you didn't jump from 1 wave to the next you hit sand because there was no water inbetween! Just sand and flopping fish! Dolphins were playing in it all day long! I gained a lot of respect for mother nature that day and now i just go out before or after. Must have seen 15 skis rolled up on beach smashed to peices!

I still LOVE rough water, and I am for sure older now.. Always go out with another ski. If you fall off you can NOT catch the ski sometimes due to the wind...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread..... Has some awesome stuff in it. Now I just need a friend with another ski that would want to go wave bashing with me.

Lake ERIE is great a lot of the times we have been there. Fairport Harbor has great water. You go out of the break water it has great swells. We had 4 footers one time spaced perfect. Climb up, get air, land and climb the next one. Went on for 15 minutes before oldest son threw in the towel!

Back