How can I secure tailpiece from vibrating loose

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAl57

I had to replace the tailpipe and exhaust hose in my seadoo, due to a "dumb" mistake. Anyway, I have all the parts but it's a challenge to tighten the nut onto the pipe, other than by using my hands. I couldn't get a wrench of any kind into the tight spot and my finger grip isn't what it used to be. Can I use Loctite or something like that to ensure the nut doesn't back off with vibration?
thanks.

What year and model ski, do you own? Please put this information in your user profile.

Lou

It's a 97 GSX. The part is actually called the outlet exhaust. It passes through the hull at the rear. There is a plastic washer and nut that hold it in place. With the tight location I can only get my hand in to tighten. Thanks,

There is a thread somewhere on here where some members actually made a tool for that... I believe they bought a piece of ABS plumbing pipe that was close to the diameter of the nut and then heated the pipe until soft and shoved it over the nut to take the shape... Basically made a long socket... I believe it was [MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION]... Also
I do believe it has to be ABS pipe because PVC will break

Sounds good, I'm sure if you do some digging on this site you can find the thread where it was shown an mentioned. And your welcome, that's what this site is all about

Thank you all. I just found the post and went to put it in here but you beat me to it! Awesome. I will definitely do this tomorrow and hope to have the beast on the water Saturday. If all goes well I will admit my dumb mistake:)

You can also make one for your VTS nut. Just use 1.25" pvc and heat the tip with a heat gun so that it gets soft and shape it around the nut. It will cool off and hold its shape. Dont have a good pic, but its the 18" pipe hanging on the wall.

Thanks everyone for the info. I used racerxxx's idea and heated the 3" ABS. I used a metal funnel to help shape the opening large enough to fit over the nut. I cut the piece of pipe to 11" to fit into the tight space. Worked like a charm!. The whole process took about 30 minutes to shape the pipe and about 15 minutes to access the tailpipe and tighten the nut. Now to give the beast a run tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back