How can I clear weeds out of the impeller 2003 sportster owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetboat girl

:willy_nilly:Bought the sportster new
Great PWC except for the on-going problem with lake weeds getting into the impeller

Lake has weeds just by where we dock it and we have trouble clearing them out of the impeller should they enter ~ does anyone know of a way to easily clear the weeds out and to keep them out?

Also how do most of you dock your seadoo boats? What kind of a dock do you recommend for a lake?

Thanks

Only way we have cleared the weeds is to climb underneath and do it by hand.

We aren't on a lake so we trailer it in and out. Can't help you there.

impeller weeds and flush fitting

thanks for the info.
I also called the marine shop where we have the boat winterized

The mechanic told me clear by hand as you mentioned using a flashlight and something that would fit in the opening to pull the weeds out. He also told me to flush them out with water from a hose. Do you know where the fitting to flush is located (picture would be helpful)? He said it is at the back fo the boat.

Thanks

thanks for the info.
I also called the marine shop where we have the boat winterized

The mechanic told me clear by hand as you mentioned using a flashlight and something that would fit in the opening to pull the weeds out. He also told me to flush them out with water from a hose. Do you know where the fitting to flush is located (picture would be helpful)? He said it is at the back fo the boat.

Thanks

I've had to clear mine a few times, weeds, sticks, tow ropes.

Open the weed free gate (pull the lanyard to ensure the engine stays off). Reach under and into the opening and start pulling out the junk. You may need a knife to cut it up (lots of opinions on the best kind of knife for it).

If you cannot clear it well enough, you will have to get in on the trailer and out of the lake. Once its on the trailer, it is much easier to get in there. Again, lower the weed free gate, get on your back under the trailer and look in the hole with a flashlight. You should be able to spot anything that is not supposed to be there and figure out a way to get it out. I use one of those long flexible pick up tools to get way in there. You can also reach in through the pump nozzle.

As far as flushing it, I'm not sure what they mean. I guess the weeds could clog the coolant intake and that is the concern. You have the garden hose connector up to under the engine cover, then there is another one in the pump housing. Look for a pipe-like outlet above and to the right of the pump nozzle. That is the other flush connector. It is where the water comes out if you flush it from the top connector.

Weed free gate?

I am not sure what u mean by the weed free gate. where is it? :driving:
We crawled under the boat when it was out of the water and used a flashlight to look. we were able to clear some weeds with a nonflexible screwdriver and can't see anymore. We'll use the flexible tool that you suggested.

thanks

I am not sure what u mean by the weed free gate. where is it? :driving:
We crawled under the boat when it was out of the water and used a flashlight to look. we were able to clear some weeds with a nonflexible screwdriver and can't see anymore. We'll use the flexible tool that you suggested.

thanks

There is a handle under the steering wheel. It releases the grate that covers the water intake. It is supposed to keep the junk out of the intake but obviously stuff gets through. In theory, when you open the grate, all the junk falls out. In practice, when you open the grate, it makes it easier to reach in and grab the junk.

Seadoo used what was called a "hydro-surge" grate. The grate was hinged to allow the impeller to pass weeds. I've heard that there were problems with it, such as tines breaking off and damaging the impeller or other issues (mine sucked up a beer can once). If you have a fixed grate you would just clear the tines.

The hose connection is used to run the boat out of the water. I don't believe it would clear weeds.

You guys are going to have the poor girl all confused. I dont think her boat has the weed removal system on the grate, nor does it have the hydro surge grate with the tines that break.

Best thing to do is get the boat off the water and look into the intake and clear it all out. Not many people keep these boats in the water. They arent really made for that. The flushing port will flush the cooling system and get dirt and sand out, but it wont do anything for weeds in the intake.

To make it a little easier to help you, list the year of your boat in your profile.

I think you are right about my boat. I don't have a weed removal system, hence my problem. I want to open the weed grate with my boat out of the water so I can get to the rest of the weeds. For the 2003 sportster, How is this done?

Also, I think I have listed my boat in the profile. Why isn't it showing??

thanks

I think you are right about my boat. I don't have a weed removal system, hence my problem. I want to open the weed grate with my boat out of the water so I can get to the rest of the weeds. For the 2003 sportster, How is this done?

Also, I think I have listed my boat in the profile. Why isn't it showing??

thanks

I haven't the foggiest idea how you would clear it without a movable grate. I am not even sure what it would look like. Have to hope that someone with the same boat chimes in. It might be worth cross-posting this in the Sea Doo Boat section of this site.

Oh, and your profile says you have a 2003 Sportster.

Best way to remove the weeds I have found is by using a metal coat hanger by straightening it out and using a hook at the end to pull them out!

Works like a charm

I also have a 2003 Sportster. Weeds get on the intake grate, and stop the water flow. I remove the landyard, dive in and pull them off. Any weeds that have gotten into the inpeller are gone within minutes of doing this.
I have my on a shorestation with a fixed cover to keep the sun off of it.
Riley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back