"How a jet pump works"

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoosnipe

Premium Member
Premium Member
There seems to be a lot of questions about cavitations and what causes it? What can I do about it? Why does my boat loose power when I turn real sharp? Then, the most asked question, why does my engine rev up without the boat moving?

I’ve explained this to a few people but because it seems that most members have noticed it, I’m going to shed a little light on if in a thread.

A boat with an outboard motor uses a propeller to create forward thrust. What ever the speed of the propeller and what the degree is, determines the speed of the boat. A propeller “chops” at the water, digging its way into the water to push itself along its forward path.

A jet boats propulsion system has no comparison with an outboard motors principle of thrust, except that they both are sources of power. From there, it ends.

I’ve done my best to make a little drawing with paint (I’m not an artist, so bare with the drawing) to try and help explain the theory and principles of jet boat thrust.

An axial flow jet pump works more like a compressor. Water enters through the low pressure inlet and is compressed by the impeller as it moves past the stator and into the nozzle. The low pressure inlet is always larger in square inches of space than the outlet nozzle.

The stator has a main purpose that most may overlook; probably wondering what it’s doing in there. But the boat can’t run without it. If it were not there, the torque from the impeller (compressor) would cause the boat to twist to the right from centrifugal force. The stator has a very aggressive blade design that almost completely reverses the direction of water flow. By changing the direction of the flow, it stabilizes the water for even output, removing the centrifugal force of the impeller. But more importantly, by changing that direction, it increases the energy of the fluid movement.

The last part of the pump is the diffuser. It’s that little vertical blade you see when looking into the pump from the back. It’s designed to remove any rotational force left over from passing through the stator.

At idle, the impeller (compressor) is completely submerged and while maneuvering in no wake zones…water is sucked into the impeller through the intake grate and gently compressed for a small amount of thrust.
But as the engine is given more power and begins to move onto plane, the pump is literally lifted out of the water and the compressor is being supplied with high volume, low pressure water, which is then compressed at higher rates as it moves through the nozzle. Without the wearing rings close tolerance, the water would lap over the outer edges of the blade and back into the low pressure side, where it would just do circles. The wearing ring, being within thousandths of an inch away, ensures that all the compressed water makes its way into the stator, to increase the thrust by changing its direction. The faster you go, the more pressure you put on the low pressure side of the impeller.

This principle of operation is very similar to the way a steam and gas turbine work. They have a several sets of rotating blades (impeller) and several sets of stator blades.

In comparing our pumps to a gas turbine on a jet airplane, if you were to change the size of the inlet to that compressor, only by inches, it wouldn’t get enough ram air to fly. The same is true with us. If you catch debris, like a ice bag left floating in the water, you’d lose all forward thrust. You’d find yourself under the boat/ski to pull that trash out of the suction grate.

So, in conclusion, when you are moving at WOT and do a sharp turn, the lose of speed equals a lose of pressure on the impellers inlet side, which in turn is going to reduce forward thrust till you straighten out and begin to regain speed.

If your sitting at a dead stop and slowly increase the throttle, then you will slowly gain speed, supposedly without cavitating. If you nail the throttle to 7k rpm, your engine is likely to hesitate while the compressor is given time to pump up the nozzle for thrust.

In my personal opinion, by a logical conclusion, I think the pure power generated by the 4-TEC’s and the 951’s would see less time in this loss of power just from the shear horsepower these engines create.

Any input or questions to this theory is welcomed. I hope I haven’t caused any/much confusion but after hearing all these questions about cavitating on start up or turning, I felt the need to go over the principle of operation and theory of how a jet pump works.

Attachments

• Axial flow jet pump.JPG
    Axial flow jet pump.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 109
Very good post as allways. I now have a beter understanding of how the jet pump works. I may be wrong but I believe you may have worded this wrong but maybe not. Just wanted to make sure for the purpose of clairity as how I know that you strive for perfection. If you nail the throttle to 7k rpm, your engine is likely to hesitate while the compressor is given time to pump up the nozzle for thrust. :cheers:

Your correct....

Your very correct Robin. That was the point I was trying to make. Mine will actually hit the rev limiter for a second or two, then it will dig in to the water and jump out of the hole.

But yeah, that's what I'm trying to get out there. I think some of the members are experiencing this effect before jumping out of the hole and they are calling it cavitation...........

I believe what may need to be done to help others understand if their hole shot is correct is that when we have these seadoo meets take a litle time out to see what the hole shot is with the crafts and record it in the forum. I know this does seem like a pain in the a** but you may be able to make it fun. After you have rcorded three of the same boats I would believe you would have a correct average of how a seadoo should take off. the newer crafts would not require more than 1 or 2 at the most of the same craft to compare with. This would put everyones mind at ease as how their craft should perform and add to the quality of this site as it will be more informed.:cheers:

An outstanding pump operation description!

The effect can be likened to jumping a wake during wakeboarding.

If you turn in suddenly to cross the wake, the rope slackens from the abrupt change in speed (sometimes even touches the water). So you lose some of the power needed to conduct the jump.

But if you turn gradually and THEN progressively turn harder in, the rope stays tight then entire time. This keeps your speed up (loading the line) to maximize either jump height or speed to clear the wake.

Keeping the jet pump loaded with water during the turn is key. So if you drop your speed suddenly, you will need to load the pump with a gradual throttle in. If you come in at sufficient speed where you aren't spinning the pump down to near idle, then you will limit the hesitation effect.....but then again, if you are coming in at that speed, you have to actually be able to turn, right? ;)

Thanks very much for the write-up. The rise in rpms prior to matched acceleration was the biggest thing I noticed the first time I took the boat out. Its a little disconcerting until you get used to it. Mentally grasping what is going on makes me much more comfortable with the boat.

Again thanks!

Very informative Louis,That explains why the high reving at low speeds just before you punch it.:cheers:

Compress Water ?

Water cannot be compressed at all. What the jet pump is doing is pressurizing it and using Newton's Law of ' any action causes a reaction' to provide thrust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back