Hours On Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

weaselman

Looking to buy a used 2001 Challenger 2000 is there anyway to find out how many hours have been used on the engine?

Hour Meter?

You don't specify the model of your Challenger, the 5447 or the 5448, from what I see, it wouldn't really matter anyway. The only difference is that the 5447 has the 240 EFI and the 5448 has the 200. I've looked all over the electrical system in my shop manuals and can't find anything about an hour meter. I didn't go in as far to see if this set-up uses the MPEM, but if it does, I know there is a memory chip embedded in it that may collect this kind of data. If it does, then only the dealer or a certified mechanic could access that information. I have no way of knowing what it stores, outside of the DESS (digital electronic security system) codes that allow you to start the boat with your lanyard.
Best guess is that if it's got good compression and runs out strong, it's a good boat. I have the 1997 with the original engine in it and outside of regular maintenance (that I do myself), it's a great ride. The sea doo engine designers put a lot of work into preventing major engine damage with all the attached sensors and rev limiters, that it's really hard to just tear one up from regular use..........hope this information was helpful!

More important than just hours are compression checks. If compression is around 120-140, you know the engine most likely is internally sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back