Help Removing drive shaft from 2002 GTI LE

Edmund1111

I just got a 2002 GTI LE I'm trying to pull out the drive shaft but the stainless steel top hat looking thing by the carbon seal is stuck on, I can turn it with a pipe wrench and WD-40, but it won't slide back. The top end of my engine is disassembled, lower half is still in the hull. If I take out my engine can this drive shaft just be removed by sliding it into the hull instead of pulling it out through the jet pump?

i made a two foot long " fork" out of wood that goes over the stainless hat where the tines of the fork drop down to almost touch the bottom of the hull....then i put about a 4" block between those tines and the base of the engine block and pry back. It some time takes some wiggling but it always works. the jetpump needs to be installed so the back of the driveshaft stays in place. does that make sense?

i made a two foot long " fork" out of wood that goes over the stainless hat where the tines of the fork drop down to almost touch the bottom of the hull....then i put about a 4" block between those tines and the base of the engine block and pry back. It some time takes some wiggling but it always works. the jetpump needs to be installed so the back of the driveshaft stays in place. does that make sense?
I've heard that you can also place a brick by the PTO and use a big crowbar to pry on that and push the hat, when I try to do that the drive shaft slides back too. But can I continue keep doing that since the jet pump will be pushing back on the drive shaft?

yes...the jetpump will keep the driveshaft from moving. The crowbar can work but it kinda puts pressure only on one side of the hat. if you can pry on both sides of the hat to keep it from "twisting"

Back