HELP PLEASE! 2002 seadoo gtx non SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romey

hey there! im a new owner of a used 2002 seadoo GTX 4-tech im wanting some help on a problem i had after the first hour of riding.. i was going full noise hitting wakes and what not then the revs would suddenly shoot up whilst slowing me down to a near on stop but then would take off again, this started happening after about a hour of no issues, but then regularly kept happing? anyone know what the problem maybe or how i could possibly fix it keeping in mind im very green when it comes to jet ski's!!
TIA
Romey

Well Romey if your going to break a jet ski especially a older one jumping waves and not releasing the throttle airborne is a good way to do it. Probably messed up your driveline. Could be driveshaft splines stripped, pump mount bolts broken or stripped and various other issues.

aww really damn i jumped in the water today and i had nothing it would accl but wouldnt even moved loaded back on truck again noticed the impeller is shiney and dents around it there also a few gashes in the wear ring

Sounds like your saying the motor is okay, but the ski would not move. Hook it up to a hose and make sure your impeller is at least turning with the motor running. Hopefully you might have just sucked something thru your impeller with the damaged wear ring but if the ski is not moving under power it’s something worse.

Sounds like your saying the motor is okay, but the ski would not move. Hook it up to a hose and make sure your impeller is at least turning with the motor running. Hopefully you might have just sucked something thru your impeller with the damaged wear ring but if the ski is not moving under power it’s something worse.
Yeah so I launched it and it went for about 20secs the just reved out so coasted it in closer to ramp then when put pressure on it wouldn’t move at all

As skiasylum said before, you have a pump problem and does sound like a stripped driveshaft most likely at the impeller. Remove the pump and inspect, takes 15 minutes.

I think you are right here’s the photo of the shaft! With only half of the shaft being stripped does that mean the impeller wasn’t connected to the shaft as meant to be?

Attachments

• 3942FE73-EBDC-45FF-944B-D2348B89C6EE.png
    3942FE73-EBDC-45FF-944B-D2348B89C6EE.png
    560.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 278AEA69-55D4-445D-B87B-E83D466B0824.png
    278AEA69-55D4-445D-B87B-E83D466B0824.png
    583.4 KB · Views: 13
  • A2D89797-513E-4CAC-9361-62C3A4BCC302.jpeg
    A2D89797-513E-4CAC-9361-62C3A4BCC302.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 12
Well done.... start to finish. Rider had factual info and experts responded to same. Wish we had a website FULL of similar exchanges. Thanks to everyone.

I think you are right here’s the photo of the shaft! With only half of the shaft being stripped does that mean the impeller wasn’t connected to the shaft as meant to be?

Another good question from Romey, I am pretty sure they all strip pretty much just like yours. So if I put in a new driveshaft and impeller can I jump waves without breaking it again because that’s pretty much why I bought the damn thing in the first place.

1. They cut the splined area of the driveshaft like a knuckle to give the connection between the shaft and pump some free play for torque and pump misalignments. Saving all the driveline bearings from premature failure but weakening the driveshaft pump connection.

2. Fix it, make sure you reference a service manual. Use OEM parts and fix anything else you find wrong, pump bearings, pump bolts, etc, watch a you tube video on how to wave jump, and you should get another 20 years out of it.

Last edited:
Very unusual wear,,,half the shaft,,seems like the pump was not secured.,,and check that your pump bearing is not seized.

That's what they all look like when they strip. The leave a lot of clearance like skiasylum referred to so that everything doesn't have to line up perfectly. On the first 2 years of the spark, they put even more clearance on the splines at the motor and driveshaft probably because of the PP hulls large production variance in size and they all strip.

hey there! im a new owner of a used 2002 seadoo GTX 4-tech im wanting some help on a problem i had after the first hour of riding.. i was going full noise hitting wakes and what not then the revs would suddenly shoot up whilst slowing me down to a near on stop but then would take off again, this started happening after about a hour of no issues, but then regularly kept happing? anyone know what the problem maybe or how i could possibly fix it keeping in mind im very green when it comes to jet ski's!!
TIA
Romey
Could be a busted motor mount .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back