help make decision? which boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon32689

hello, i am looking at getting a seadoo challenger boat, i have never had a boat before just jet skis, but been wanting one bad. i am looking at a couple used ones right now i found one that is a 98 seadoo challenger 1800 with the twin 110hp engines in really good shape for 5,500 is that too much and is the twin engines good? i also found a 2001 challenger 1800 with the v6 engine 240 hp also in good shape for 7,000 what do you guys thing and whats the pros and cons of each, i was just wondering about the twin engines does just one ever go out or what thanks in advance for the help

Boats

Look at the Boat Nada - I paid 3800 for a 96 challanger which was listed at 3000
Maybe I got a good price but not sure.

Water test all boats - See if they have a Mtc log - Check Pistion pressure - Ask how many hrs on boat - Check wear rings and props - Had to replace mine for about 900 - When was the pump oil changed - Have the carbs been rebuilt - Had mine done for 700 - Have they been using seadoo oil - You can call me if I can help in your decision - Glen 404-735-9192

Twin engines...

hello, i am looking at getting a seadoo challenger boat, i have never had a boat before just jet skis, but been wanting one bad. i am looking at a couple used ones right now i found one that is a 98 seadoo challenger 1800 with the twin 110hp engines in really good shape for 5,500 is that too much and is the twin engines good? i also found a 2001 challenger 1800 with the v6 engine 240 hp also in good shape for 7,000 what do you guys thing and whats the pros and cons of each, i was just wondering about the twin engines does just one ever go out or what thanks in advance for the help

Stay away from the hybrid Merc motor set up. These are no longer serviced and is hard trying to get needed parts of it.

CHeck compression and spark. Everything else you can work with. Those two are the two most important things in gettina few boat.

Also, the price is just a tag bit high. I can't give you a good idea on the price, since we have so many down here on the gulf coast, the market is so flooded, you can dte one dirt cheap

Challenger

Ya I think that's what's in the 2001 is a v6 mercury 240 horses and the 98 is just two 110 motors I guess like the jet skis. So don't get one with the mercurty motor? Is it still good with the two motors if there in good shape? Thanks sorry I'm new at all this.

hello, also i was just wantint to know if the challengers were indeed a good boat have any of you had one before? last a long time? powerfull? i am selling my jet skis and getting this boat that is why i just wanted to make sure its as fun and all, anyones input would be apreciated thanks

Hi,

Like Snipe said... stay away from the Merc powered boats. They were only used for a few years, and the drive is totally different than the standard "SeaDoo" stuff. Also... SeaDoo bought into Johnson/Merury, and they own that particular drive system. The problem is... SeaDoo no longer uses it, and doesn't support it since going back to their direct drive system. (also used in their PWC) Since they own the Merc drive... a Merc dealer can't get parts either. A Merc dealer can get the engine parts... but most of the time they don't want to work on the SeaDoo boats, and if they do... they will just want to swap the engine with a rebuild with a price tag around $3500.

As far as the older boat. I can't comment on reliability because I don't know the history on it.

Assuming it is in perfect running order, with fresh engines (or low hour engines) there is no reason why that boat wouldn't last for 10 years of worry free operation. But, boats get abused, and neglected... and I've seen boats have issues after the second season. (Poor maintenance, not winterized, etc)

The boat in my avatar is a 96, it's reliable, and it runs great. AND... since it uses standard seadoo parts... it's easy to find what I need if something breaks.

OK... a word on "Fun."

Fun is different to everyone. If you are selling a sit down watercraft, for a boat... it's a totally different type of fun. The PWC is quick, fast, maneuverable, you get wet... fall off... it's a big water go-Kart. The boat... you will take it out and ski with it, or swim off of it... but it's not the same.

I have a 3 year old, and my PWC were sitting since she came... but I got my little boat, and now the entire family can go out and have fun. But... when she gets to be 12 or so... I will probably go back to PWC.

Hope that helps a little

Cool man well thanks alot I guess i will stay away from the mercury engine ha, thanks for the save then, I wanted the boat to have one thing to maintain and worry about on the lake and learn to wakeboard and all but with two motors it's like having 2 skis in the end, I would just be worried if one motor went out ha, I would like a newer seadoo boat just don't like price tag looking for something 7500 or less so I can own it and have money for fixes and taking it out, Thanks alot

while were on the subject of Challangers......

Im looking at a mint 787 powered challanger ( 96 i think ) , but with a sad engine ( oil pump failure )

Im considering putting the running gear from a 98 XP 951 into it. Ive been told its next to impossible to fit a 951 pump into the space made for a 787 pump.

Will I get a good gain running a 951 up to a 787 jet unit. Ive got the complete xp so can do the electrics conversion as well if needed.

the only difference I can see between the two motors, is the 951 runs Rave valves with feed tubes that seem to be electronically controlled?

Mercury engines are well known, well serviced, very popular...

I don't know why people are saying that the Mercury powered Seadoos are a bad idea. I have both kinds of engines (a Mercury SportJet 240EFI engine in my 2001 Challenger 2000, and two Rotax 787 engines in my two jetskis), and maintain and service all three myself, so I believe I can speak without bias.

I am just now completing a mini-overhaul on the Mercury engine after about nine years of life and hundreds of hours of use. Not because anything was wrong with it, but because I like to stay ahead of maintenance and do it on my schedule. Parts for this engine and jetdrive are EASY to find. There are dozens of online sources, any Mercury dealer can and will order them, and even eBay has lots of parts available both new and used.

Why? Because the SportJet engines are really just standard Mercury outboard engines used on an inboard boat. That V6 engine has been made by Mercury for many, many years. Take it to any Mercury shop anywhere - and there are FAR more Mercury shops than BRP/Seadoo/Rotax shops! - and they will instantly recognize the engine because it is exactly like their outboards. It's the same engine. Any certified Mercury shop will be able to work on your engine. All the tools are the same, all the diagnostic tests are the same, the DDT (fancy engine tester) plugs right into the same connector... it's all identical.

Don't fall into the trap of believing that your boat and your engine have to be made by the same company. That's common for jetskis. It's unusual for real boats. Ever heard of an engine made by Mastercraft? Tige? Supra? Nope. They all buy from ENGINE manufacturers like Mercury, Volvo, and Cummins. (That's how aircraft makers like Boeing, Airbus, Cessna, and Robinson do it, too - they focus on the vessel and buy engines from companies like GE, Rolls Royce, Garrett, and Lycoming.)

I own, use, and maintain both kinds of engines. Here's a synopsis of what I've found. The Rotax engines are simpler in design and the parts can be cheaper. However, they fail more often and require more work to keep running. I've probably spent 3-4X the clock time and money maintaining and repairing my two Rotax engines as I have my one Mercury SportJet, and I've owned the Mercury more than twice as long and it sees probably 3-4X the hours of operation.

There's a lot of good things to be said about the Rotax engines. But in my educated opinion, the Mercury engines are superior for actual BOAT applications. For jetskis, the Rotax engines are small, light, simple, and reasonably reliable. But if you're driving a vessel large enough to hold a Mercury engine, you're better off having one.

Again, I have no bias in this discussion. I don't work for either company, I don't sell anything related to boating, etc. But I do own and work on both kinds of engines and can speak from years of personal experience. With all due respect, the earlier respondents are incorrect in their comments regarding the Mercury powerplants.

If you're still unsure, do your own research... call a few boat shops and see which brand is more popular... see how many can get parts for, and know how to work on, V6 Mercury engines as compared with Rotax engines. What you'll find is that Rotax will be serviced by a few jetski/motorcycle shops, while Mercury will be serviced by tons of real boat dealers and marine engine shops. Then you can make an informed decision.

Report back, and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back