Help! 97 SPX Apparent Ignition Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hokiebob

Help! I've been chasing what presents as an ignition problem for a while and am at wits end. Ski starts sometimes, sometimes not. When it does start, it may run for a minute or 15 minutes, but when it dies, its as if the key is turned off (or DESS pulled out). I can remove and reinstall the key, and get the 2 beeps but it generally won't restart for a while. Things I've tried....new large ground from battery to engine, running w/o the rectifier red wire connected, compression is ~160 hot in both cylinders, ohm'd the spade connectors on the coil (OK by book specs), ohmed and also removed stator and trigger (both appear in good shape and ohm ok)m, ensured batteries are fully charged, rebuilt carbs (they were clean)---I think thats about it. Anyone have any thoughts to try now--its becoming painful! And I should add, I tried cranking and using a test light on the white wire going to the coil and didn't get a flicker, so based on something I read, it must be a problem upstream of the coil??

thanks
bob

More thoroughly--I've reinstalled the mageto/trigger housing and still no spark. This is actually the same condition just prior to the removal--it finally got to a point where it wouldn't fire or start--thats when I drug it home and started more thorough disassembly. I also added a new ground from battery to front MPEM box, but clearly no help. I always get the two beeps though. I hate to just throw parts at it, and honestly I"m not sure where I'd start, even if I did!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back