HELP 96 787 xp problem running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

96seadooxp

I just recently bought a 96 xp seadoo. with the 781cc engine. I have taken it out 4 or 5 times an its ran fine all until this past weekend. when i took it out if i gassed it more than 1/8th throddle it felt like the motor wasnt bolted in an wasnt going anywhere smoking pretty good also. i figured it was just cold took a really long time to actally start running like normal. ran fine untill i stopped to take a break an chill in the water when i started it back up after 15-20 min same thing. did it a few times also when i slowed down an came to a idle. when i finnaly decided to call it a day an head in it did it again as i was coming back to the dock coulnt get it to act right, killed it an started it back up an it was fine. by that time i was at the no wake sign tho. sorry for the long post trying to explain it the best i can. I'm new to jetski's an this forum.

i also noticed a pin hole in my exaust when i took the seat off water was coming out close to the engine in the fattest part.

im running 93 octane, its stock as far as i know besides a aftermarket intake grate an i think it has a prop. compression test showed 175 in both cylnders an im running the stock oil injection an mixing it like 60/1 untill i get a chance to block the oil injection off. thanks for the help -phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok phil...first things first. Welcome to the forum.

Now, get rid of oil injection and run premix only. Unfortunally the oiling systems have too high of a tendency to fail to trust them, especially after 11 years of use.

Ok, you need to check a couple things for us. First, read your spark plugs. What are they telling you? Then, check your spark. Is it healthy and full, or very weak? Next, do a compression test.

Question: how are your motor mounts? Does the ski run healthy once 'warm' or does it still have other symptoms (or did they all go away?).

You can get all of these things done easily and that will give you many more clues into solving the problem.

I actually changed the plugs with a fresh set and it did the same thing plugs looked alittle oily/black an the electrode was alittle brown. an the jetski ran fine no problems once it straightend up. but even while it was warm it did the whole not going anywhere an sounding funky thing. Have no clue about the motor mounts? whats the best way to check? thanks my brother thinks i had it too rich on oil is why it wouldn't run right. but once it stopped acting funny it ran perfict no problems then all the sudden no power didnt move

Try using premix oil and see what happens. If it is because of oil, it should smoke more than normal. Do the premix and don't use the oil injection and see if it helps at all.

For the motor mounts, just see if they are falling apart. Motormounts are what connect the engine to the hull.

Blown Fuses in 94 Seadoo GSX....Please Help.

I am trying out a 94 Seadoo GSX to buy. It has been stored for 6 years. I jump started it from my truck and it started and ran fine for about 20 minutes and when I went to idle it died. I got it back to the ramp and noted the fuse was burned. I replace the fuse and burned too. Now it is dead. Will a new battery help? Or, does this sound more complex? I dont want to spend much on it since I dont own it. Thanks for any help. jC

6 years? long time...hope it was properly stored. What fuse was burned?

If its been stored for 6 years, a little squirt of oil in the barrels would do it some help.
And I hope you did'nt run it for 20 minutes outa water.
Not a good idea.
Oh and another thing..........If it has had, fuel left standing in the tank.
It would have lost its octane rate.
Try fresh fuel in the tank if you have'nt already done this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back