Hello from newbee

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmob73

Just a quick introduction from Dave, Sarah and Sam. We recently bought a 1998 Seadoo GSX LTD and have been having great fun with it.

A couple of minor issues with it which led me to this forum and has already given me some good pointers as to what to look at.

She bogs down at around 40MPH, anything below that is fine and the acceleration is excellent, if I keep it just below then she runs great. Shown low batt since I bought her but has ran fine until last weekend where she failed to start at the end of the day, this may be due to trying to learn to wakeboard so lots of stops and starts.

I have on order new fuel lines as they are still the grey ones, got a new battery coming tomorrow as well as a couple of new spark plugs.

The next tip I have picked up from the forum is the voltage regulator, so once I put the new battery in I think I may disconnect the red wire for a quick run to see if that clears it.

Anyway I'd just like to say that this looks to be a great forum and I will endeavour to contribute where and when I can.

All the best,

Dave.

Welcome to the best SeaDoo forum, lots of good info and help available here.

Big hint: If you have the gray Tempo fuel lines, please save yourself a lot of headaches (blown engine) and do not run it until you replace the fuel lines and clean/rebuild the carb(s), fuel filter, fuel selector (consider replacing). The fuel system problems tend to result in lean running which will really mess up your engine.

Get the service manual, available here as premium member or as download for free.

Have fun,

Rod

Yep, the GT fuel lines are engine killers. Forces the engine to run lean. Which means it is getting less oil. Less oil and the engine basically destroy itself..

You will need to replace the fuel selector, (you can clean it, but it is cheap to replace it), rebuild the carbs using ONLY OEM gaskets, (do NOT get aftermarket as you will be doing it again), and replace the needle and seats.

Once you get it running, get a meter on the battery and see where the voltage is. Should be near 13 volts at idle and upper 14 when you rev it a bit.

FYI, The regulator can fail in two way and have different results. It can charge the ski and still be bad as it puts out a tiny bit of A/C voltage. This A/C voltage screws with the MPEM and creates a lack of performance. This is the "unplug the red wire" test you mentioned above. Or, it can fail and not charge the ski.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back