Hawkeye D10D Depth Finder Install: 99' Speedster SK

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingarmy

Picked up a Hawkeye D10D from Norcross Marine.

I have already installed the guage in place of the accessory plug on the dash. I haven't re-installed the accessory plug yet, looking for a good location. I tried many different configuration for the transducer and after reading all the threads about issues with installing it "in-hull" I have decided to go ahead and install in on the transom. I have been very leary about drilling through the hull, especially below the water line. But after several brainstorming sessions and looking at different ways, I saw that the speedometer sensor cable is routed through the transom plate using a wire compression fitting on the port side. The starboard is also set up to use a compression fitting but it's not drilled through the hull. My plan it to use that hole to feed the wire through and use a Ancor 3/8" wire seal to prevent water leaking. I have used these fittings in the past in my salt water reef hobby and they work great. I looked how the other fitting was sealed and I will do the same on the other side. The transducer end cable end plug won't fit through the Ancor wire seal so I had to cut the wire to feed it through. The Hawkeye manual only states that cutting the plug at the guage will void the warranty, actually you cut the wire on the transducer if you need to lengthen the cable. This morning I'll take some pictures of the install and also of the gauge I have already installed.

You can just move the accessory plug down like I did.

255.jpg

Finished the install...taking it out on the water tomorrow to see how it performs.

#1 picture is of the Ancor wire seal. Same part as #33/34 on the Seadoo parts list for the Speedster.

#2 pic is of the speed sensor cable coming out of the port side transom plate.

#3 is the starboard side threaded hole on the transome plate.

#4 is the install Ancor wire seal, used teflon pipe sealer on the threads to ensure a good seal.

#5 is the finished product, wire tied the cable to the port side then ran it across to the starboard side then in the wire seal.

#6 is a pic of the transducer positioning, it actual tilts slightly downward but the angle of the picture make it look the opposite.

#7 is the epxoy sealing the hole on the inside.

#8 Is the epoxy on the mounting screws for the transducer.

#9 is the guage on the dash.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 121
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 169
The remainder of the pics:

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 142
Strong work!!! Good thinking on your placement of the wire. Was that hole already threaded? I have thought about adding a depth gauge, but wanted one with the tranducer on the outside rather than one trying to work through the hull. I may do this later on.

I am not real sure where you can put another gauge without it looking strange. I actually thought about placing mine in the rear storage area next to the battery, but went ahead and put it on the dash. When I get home in the morning I will look and see if I can come up with any ideas for ya.

Good job on the install. Are you convinced that the transducer works better/ more accurate on the out side of the hull as opposed to inside?

Never installed the transducer on the inside but the tansducer has nothing to pass through to garble the signal. Clean shot to the bottom...can't get any clearer. I was worried about having to drill through the hull, especially below the waterline but haven't has any issues, and with the marine epoxy I doubt I will. Good luck!

I will probably go with transom mount for the Speedster.. My only concer would be it may get knocked off if I were to become grounded somehow, or skim an object underwater.. How far does the transducer go below the lowest part of the Speedster on your install? I read somewhere should not go beyond 3mm.. Does that sound right? Thanks

Just curious; I am a AH-64, and OH-58 D guy..What airframe are you?

That sounds about right, but without looking at the manual I can't say for sure.

I am cargo...chinooks. Started out flying huey's but those are an airframe of the past. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back