Having second thoughts about purchasing a PWC? :facepalm:

Mdeblasi

I've been shopping around for about a week now, looking for the best price on a RXP-X 260, under the impression that it'd be both a fun-to-ride ski alone, great for dates, and good for tubing, waterskiing, and maybe wakeboarding. However, after watching a couple of videos and reading a couple of stories I've become uncertain that it's not something that'll become thrill-less rather quickly. That'll lose the "WOW" factor. The only other thing I've really tried in the water is kayaking. I went once on a tour and purchased two kayaks the same weekend; I've definitly used them enough to say I got my money's worth. They're great for dates too lol This PWC costs 16x as much as the kayaks though. Guess I'm hoping for some insight and that'll persuade me that it's still a good investment, but obviously if it isn't I'd rather avoid the experience. Thanks

I have a RXT-X and it makes me smile every time I ride it. Super strong ski, fast, stable and big enough to easily handle three people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a RXT-X and it makes me smile every time I ride it. Super strong ski, fast, stable and big enough to easily handle three people.

That's good to hear! I notice you're in Florida too. Is it more fun to ride in the ocean? Are you usually with a group of people when you go or by yourself?

I own two skis so it is very rare that I ride alone. I have gone out with others that I have met through this site. Ocean is a blast if your intention is to enjoy the waves.

We do a Kissimee River Run every now and then and that is a great day. About 90 miles total riding. Pass through a lock, get lunch and fuel and ride more.

That's awesome!

Initially I was considering purchasing two SPARKS, but I'd be a little nervous leaving one behind on the trailer in the parking lot on days I have nobody to ride with. Not sure how I'd work around that besides having two single trailers taking up my whole garage lol Have you ever tubed, waterskiied, or wakeboarded behind your RXT?

I have not, but I have used my slower GTX to do all of the above. I use that ski over the RXT as it is basically a Cadillac. It has all to options on it and rides like it is on air. The fact that my 155 GTX can do it, I know the RXT can.

I have not, but I have used my slower GTX to do all of the above. I use that ski over the RXT as it is basically a Cadillac. It has all to options on it and rides like it is on air. The fact that my 155 GTX can do it, I know the RXT can.

I suppose my question isn't exactly if it can do it, but was it any fun? Haha

The whole reason I started having second thoughts was because I watched a wakeboard video of a guy behind a boat and the boat just has enough mass to provide big enough waves to do flips, etc. Then I watched one behind a PWC and it wasn't so impressive. I don't know what model it was exactly though in the video or how fast they were going, but I imagine going 50 or 60 behind the RXP would be interesting at the least, I don't know lol

Just found this tubing video which looks pretty awesome... Three people in the tube I think :cheers:

http://youtu.be/ytG_htrFUr4

Just remember you have a 3 person ski.
For towing you need one of the three looking back in case they fall.

Your not always going to be towing unless you live on a lake.

Coastie, I and another forum member idoo3 usually ride out in the ocean and wave jump and cruise around Key Biscayne and Stiltsville.

I barely take kids in inner tube as much as I should but towing a tube or ski requires a large open space on the inside channel where there is boat traffic.
Not always a safe place.

You should be happy with the 260.
If its anything like Coastie's you'll start complaining about having to put gas because your having too much fun.
Especially if you plan on pulling inner tube or wake boarding.

Gas is worth the expense.

It is SO hard to keep out of the throttle. LOL

Mdeblasi,

I suggest you go somewhere and rent a PWC and ride for a few hours. You should quickly start to understand both the 'pros' as well as the 'cons' of owning a PWC. They ARE fun as hell, not doubt about it. They are NOT as versatile as a boat, if you are looking for something more multi-purpose.
Let's put it this way: I wouldn't want JUST a PWC when it comes to my water activities.

I am two hours south of you. Give me heads up and either meet me here or in the middle of us. I'll bring my GTX and my RXT-X and you can ride them and see how you like them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am two hours south of you. Give me heads up and either meet me here or in the middle of us. I'll bring my GTX and my RXT-X and you can ride them and see how you like them.

That's very nice of you Coastie! Since I already have everything set up with the dealer to come in tomorrow though, I think I'm just going to roll the die and purchase the PWC lol I'm feeling much better about things now. I hope we can ride together sometime though!!

you live in Florida , buy it and enjoy !

I've been riding for years, and I have the same smile on my face today as I did the first ride.

I personally am not a fan of solo riding, although i'll admit I'm guilty of breaking my own rules about that, but very rarely.

here's a good vid of the K river to give you an idea of the fun involved.... not my video...

skip ahead to around 14:30 to get an idea of some of the tighter area's.

[video=youtube;y_g3Pix_Kvg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_g3Pix_Kvg[/video]

you live in Florida , buy it and enjoy !

I've been riding for years, and I have the same smile on my face today as I did the first ride.

I personally am not a fan of solo riding, although i'll admit I'm guilty of breaking my own rules about that, but very rarely.

here's a good vid of the K river to give you an idea of the fun involved.... not my video...

skip ahead to around 14:30 to get an idea of some of the tighter area's.

[video=youtube;y_g3Pix_Kvg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_g3Pix_Kvg[/video]

Not a fan of riding alone because it's boring or more because it's dangerous and scary? lol I just wish I knew more people where I live now. If I had tons of friends here I don't think I'd have second guessed this at all, but I don't. It might be good for a date I guess, but I don't know if that's a good enough reason to blow 16,000~ lol

Just remember you have a 3 person ski.
For towing you need one of the three looking back in case they fall.

Your not always going to be towing unless you live on a lake.

Coastie, I and another forum member idoo3 usually ride out in the ocean and wave jump and cruise around Key Biscayne and Stiltsville.

I barely take kids in inner tube as much as I should but towing a tube or ski requires a large open space on the inside channel where there is boat traffic.
Not always a safe place.

You should be happy with the 260.
If its anything like Coastie's you'll start complaining about having to put gas because your having too much fun.
Especially if you plan on pulling inner tube or wake boarding.

If I'm getting the RXP-X, which is only a two person ski, would it be bad for towing then?

If I'm getting the RXP-X, which is only a two person ski, would it be bad for towing then?

MOST states require the item doing the pulling to be able to LEGALLY carry everyone involved and have a spotter. Simple math, if you have a driver and a spotter, a 2-seater ski can not pull anything. A few states allow for "Extended or Over-sized mirrors" to act as a spotter. Which would mean on a 2-seater you could pull one person.

I need to confirm, but I believe that FL does require a spotter.

In my opinion, unless I had 2 or my skis, I would never own a 2-seater. My reasoning is, for the few times you do want to pull anyone or one of you kids wants to take a friend for a ride, you must have a 3-seater.

I don't know the price difference from the P to the X, but it is something I would take a look at.

All this said, this is all just my thoughts based on my past life and what I like to do.

If you own two skis, then one can be anything you want it to be as many prefer the smaller more agile skis. They just don't do well for towing and giving rides.

When I bought my RXT...it was the baddest 3seater on the block. The reasoning I used to persuade the mrs.....I planned on keeping it for a while and didn't want something that would be obsolete in a few years. It has the ass to tow and will get out of it's own way on demand.

Buy the best you can comfortably afford....don't look back.

good luck

When I bought my RXT...it was the baddest 3seater on the block. The reasoning I used to persuade the mrs.....I planned on keeping it for a while and didn't want something that would be obsolete in a few years. It has the ass to tow and will get out of it's own way on demand.

Buy the best you can comfortably afford....don't look back.

good luck

I agree,, I can not say enough about my RXT-X.. Simply love the ski...

ya, the TX, and PX, are bad azz ski's no doubt.

don't worry about not having enough friends, they tend to come out of the woodwork when you buy a ski/boat. Also you could find new friends, several of us regular members get together when we can and i've been saying that I want to get more organized with our own little group on a message app like messageme or viber so we can arrange more rides and share info, i've just been real lazy about it.

You can also look into Jetski junkies on facebook, good group, always somebody heading out, its free... and only maybe 3 asshats out of a couple hundred members. (That tends to happen when 20+ ski's get together, always one too many alpha males in the group and any time you get more than 10 ski's together its like herding cats) I tend to prefer group rides of 4-8 ski's max..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/JETSKIJUNKIESUSA/

Also, because your in Vero.. look at southflorida rider's.
http://soflariders.net/ , $50 to join $25 renewals but you'll instantly have 130 friends that all own a jetski and are always looking to go out they do full family events, pig roasts, pot luck's weekend getaways, bimini, you name it, and they spend every penny that is donated and throw in extra on their own, 80% of them are in the Miami area so right near you. If you want to experience the PWC world in South Florida this is the group to join, i've been a member for years even tho I only hook up with them about once or twice a year because i'm on the west coast. (only word of caution is if you join them, make sure your prepared for lots of emails, they tend to send out 10-15 a week when organizing a ride, I changed mine to a yahoo address that I check on my phone because they were filling up my work email lol) But this group is the Bomb !!!!

Back