GTX counterbalance oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmasman

I just bought a rebuilt 787 for my 97 GTX and know there is a small res. for SAE 30 oil for the counterbalance. Looking at the manual, it shows a grove in the cap to use a flathead screwdriver to remove. Mine appears to not have any grove at all and I'm at a loss on how to check/add oil before firing this thing up.

Did the 1996 787 have the same oil fill? Any ideas of getting cap off with engine installed?

thanks

If the engine was rebuilt, depending on how extensive, it should have been checked and added on assembly, before it was installed back in the hull. I'll take a look in the manual too and see what I can find.

Karl

I looked in the manual and yes, it does take 1oz. of 30 wt oil. The manual shows where it goes...in the PTO end of the engine( by the jet pump) and on the Port side.(left side) It doesn't indicate whether it can be added after assembly or not. I would think there is a cap somewhere, to check it's level, keep looking. I'll keep checking the manual for you.

Karl

Were the cases split for the rebuild? Was it just a top end rebuild? If so than the the original oil should be in the case. If the cases were split, it must be added at rebuild time when the cases are re-assembled or it will cause major problems with no oil. Let us know the type of rebuild...and we'll get you in the right direction on your next move.

Karl

Pre models....

The link Robin posted here and in another thread is a good read. But like the member who opened this thread, that model may not have the plug. In the older doo's, there isn't a way to maintain this oil. The idea of why is quite simple.
This oil put into the balance shaft at rebuild is meant to be there the entire life of the engine, till it's next rebuild. If you have to put oil in that balance shaft chamber, which is only a couple inches, then that means the seal is leaking and the engine needs to be replaced or re-built anyway.

Picture....

Here is a picture of the 787 balance shaft. The engine is upside down, the balance shaft is at the top of the picture. If you look to the right of the picture, on the balance shaft, you'll see the seal. It's cocked sidways a bit from when I seperated the casings. To the right of that seal, where the two gears mesh, is where and what that 30 wt. oil is in there for. You can also see that as long as that seal is good, that oil shouldn't go anywhere.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, well, lets see if this does the trick.
http://www.seadooforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=49&d=1193003986

Gear Oil

HI EVERYONE,
Here is what I was told once by a reman engine co. I don't know if it's true but they had ME convinced at the time that it was. They said........
that the oil that is suggested to be put in that balance shaft gear chamber on a 787 is for initial start up purposes only. They said that the oil that you initially put in could be synthetic 2 stroke oil because that's what's going to end up in that chamber anyway. Their reason was that the balancer gear chamber was open to the crankshaft gear chamber (the cases) and that the 2 stroke oil / gas mixture that runs the engine and lubes the crankcase bearings also lubes the counter shaft gear and end bearing. In other words...
If you were to rebuild a 787 and NOT put any oil in the balance shaft gear chamber, run that engine 1 hr, then disassemble that engine you would have 2 stroke oil in the balance shaft gear chamber lubricating the gear and end bearing. They explained that there was a small passage way designed into the cases that led from the rear crank bearing to the balance gear chamber and that the oil from the crank bearing flowed into the balance gear chamber and maintained it's own level in the chamber. In other words if you were to overfill the balance gear chamber with oil the excess oil would find it's way (thru the case passage) to the rear crank bearing and then to the bottom of the crankcase. They said this is NOT true with the 951 balance gear chamber because there is no passage in the cases and that the oil installed in the balance gear chamber during engine assembly remains there always.
THANKS, DAWG

that does sound intresting could you please explain the circulation of this oil? is this the same oil that the hose which suplies the rotary gear? if not please explain. if so please explain. I am new to pwc and I am trying to picture this in my mind. I have never seen one of these engines. do you have any photos that might help me understand? thanks robin

sory I reread your post and I think I understand what you are saying. but why have seals I would have thought they would have left it open to fuel oil mixture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well informed....

As a group together, we have a very intelligent community. You can be certain, that someone here, somewhere will have an answer to your query.
I believe this thread has come to an end and will now be closed. If you have any further problems or questions, please feel free to start another thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back