GTX Battery Drain

bigsky56

so I have a 1997 GTX that all the electronics work fine, my problem is after it sits un-used for 3 or 4 days, my (brand new) battery is dead (the landyard is not connected)
Has anyone ever tried to put in a battery dis-connect (master shutoff) switch to deal with this,
or if anyone has a good answer to why my battery is draining so quickly?

Last edited:
Brand new batteries can be bad. Make sure it’s fully charged and have it load tested

I would try a few things. Put a multimeter that can measure current in series with the positive battery line an see how much current is drawn when the ski sits off. I would guess it should only be a few milliamps. If the current is low then have the battery charged and load tested even though it is new to make sure it can hold a charge.
If it draws significant current when off then I would look at a schematic to see of there are some 12V lines that are active when then ski is off and measure them to see if that is where the high current flows (like the rectifier). I would also inspect all 12V lines for corrosion ot shorting to something that could be providing a resistive path to ground.

Back