GTX 4 TEC Starter Button

Gerryb4447

Our 2004 GTX 4 TEC has been difficult to engage the starter button. Our grand daughter was attempting to start it and said the red (sort of triangular) button appeared to be stuck down, she was able to grasp with her fingernails and pull it back to flush and then the starter operated fine. Is this a common issue and how difficult to replace or is the entire electrical push button required to be replaced. Thanks GB

Thanks...Start/Stop red button ordered. Just as you said, one screw and removed old, literally two minutes if the new one was here.

Our 2004 GTX 4 TEC has been difficult to engage the starter button. Our grand daughter was attempting to start it and said the red (sort of triangular) button appeared to be stuck down, she was able to grasp with her fingernails and pull it back to flush and then the starter operated fine. Is this a common issue and how difficult to replace or is the entire electrical push button required to be replaced. Thanks GB
I replaced the red buttons on 2 of my 2003 GTX 4-TEC and they both were still difficult to press even with the new replacement parts. I had to put a small piece of foam rubber, approximately 1/4”x1/2”x1/2” under the red buttons then reassemble. This gave it the amount of spring needed and freed up the button. Both work perfectly well now.

Interesting, I installed the new red button. Better but still difficult as you say to depress. Is there 1/4"dead space gap between the red button and electric push button? Will try filling the gap a little.

Looks like there are a couple different types, check out the pics of Seadoo start/stop cover buttons on eBay. One has a 1/4" dimple on the backside of the button.

Now that I think of it, I put the small piece of foam rubber under the white rubber depression switch. It elevated this white switch enough to make it easy to start when pressing on the new red button.

Interesting, I installed the new red button. Better but still difficult as you say to depress. Is there 1/4"dead space gap between the red button and electric push button? Will try filling the gap a little.
Filling the gap worked well for me. See my reply about putting it under the white switch to raise it up a little.

Thanks, you have explained your solution well. I was thinking of the added material being placed between the red button and switch. Placing beneath switch to partially fill the switch to button gap is logical. Will check that out. I have sheets of 3/16" and 1/4" thick neoprene that might work well.

Back