Gtx 4 tec mpem plug problem

My 2004 gtx 4 tec will not start unless I put pressure or jiggle the plug connected to the mpem. Once running it will stop while on route and I will have to unplug then replug the mpem to get it working again. If anyone has experienced this issue can you tell me if it is the connection pins or the mpem itself that may be the issue? Is there a solution to this problem that has worked for anyone? The machine is in perfect working order otherwise.

This is usually the connection but have seen a couple flaky mpems only work with pressure on the connectors. Remove terminals from the connector housing and clean/inspect. You can tweak/bend them to have a tighter fit on the the pin/blade terminals.

Thank you for your reply. I have cleaned all the male pins with 400 grit water sand paper and the female with a small file. I have managed to get the GTX to start and run but any vibration or movement of the plug disconnects and I have to put pressure on the plug to re engage. I’m wondering if there is a disconnect inside the Mpem unit that requires pressure to engage or if the pin connectors are loose inside the plug somehow. I will try to clean the female reciprocals and squeeze them slightly to see if that helps. Anyone else with this sort of problem I would appreciate any and all advice S you know it could be one simple thing that gets this perfectly good machine reliably on the water again. Thanks in advance.

If all else fails I my try that but if any of them break it’s a problem in that there is no supply of new parts available to replace them only used and who knows what those are like. Thanks for the post.

Back