gti starting problem (2004 model) 2 stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.

dano111

i have a sea doo gti rfi and got a starting problem you press the starter button and you can hear the relay click and the starter motor trying to engage but it will not turn over after about 10 tries it starts ?? i have taken to a ski shop they looked at it and said they tried a relay and it wernt that they checked all wires and connectors and they were all ok they come to a conclusion that it was a battery fault ?? so after 2 hours labour and a new battery its still the same any ideas ( starter motor possably )

Yes, it sounds like it is the starter. If you went to a seadoo repair shop they should have found the problem. Is the ski shop a seadoo shop? 2 hours of labor is quite a bit. Did they stop for coffee? If you want to pull it apart your self than do like a lot of members here do...join as a premium member so you can download a authentic seadoo manual. You can read it on line as a pdf file or print it off for you own personal and privet use. It has troubleshooting and great pictures of how things come apart and go back together. It is a must have if you want to save a bunch of repair money and repair yourself. If you run into a problem you can always come back and post your problem or question and your are sure to get a fast response. Click on the link at the top of the page "seadoo Manuals" for more details. Let us know if we can help any more.
Karl

Another shop experience!...

This is exactly what get me to stand on my soap box. This shop should have all the top of the line diagnostic equipment for finding this problem in the shortest amount of time possible.
As a mechanic myself and I know KustomKarl has dabbled in mechanics quite a bit himself, can tell you it doesn't take 2 hours to change out a relay, starter and battery!.....and to boot, they have equipment they use to test your battery for it's ability to hold a charge. Let's say they tested your battery and it did need to be replaced. Then after replacing, they should have been able to find out if your starter was dragging, as if it was about to go out. By your description, it sounds like your bendix isn't throwing out the starter gear like it should. Any fair weather mechanic can tell by the sound of the starter as it's being operated. Sounds like this shop may be looking to see you come back as a return customer so they can get more money!
If this was my Doo, I'd be taking this thing back and asking to talk to the manager of the shop. In my manual, I can look up the OEM recommended amount of time it takes to replace the battery, starter ect.....and I bet it wasn't that much. And they didn't fix the problem. I want my money back! If this is an OEM repair shop for Sea-Doo's and not some fly by night operation, then if you take a sensible approach when talking to the manager, letting him know you think you got the shaft, he may work with you on it. :rant:

This is only my opinion and should not be used in arbitrating your issue with the shop in question. It is an unbiased opinion, so please use it as such. But I think their jerking you around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back